The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!
 
HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 52 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm
Latest topics
» Thank You!
Tue May 22, 2018 1:52 am by SmashedBrother

» So, what've you all been up to?
Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18064 messages in 767 subjects

Share | 
 

 2008 Election News and Debate

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SmashedBrother
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2107
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks Pugs & Skye! Glad you liked it!

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
Very nice Smashed Brother....love the move set....very nice criticisms...although I am slightly considering him...I cant believe it, but I'm actually undecided this time around...I guess I'll just have to wait...

First, Thanks!

Second, I'm just asking, but what is there to consdier about him? I started following the election about the time it got interesting (when Mike Huckabee showed up and took Iowa, along with Obama taking out HIllary and then mom decided to use the election for homework on the presidential election - long story)

Anyway, I don't understand why everyone thinks he's so woo 9positivily anyway...) so I'm just asking...

_________________
Forsaken...Lament!

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2293
Age : 32

PostSubject: 2008 Election News and Debate   Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:08 pm

For those of you who are into politics, I'll make this thread a place where we can discuss and debate the issues leading up until November.

As I post, the Republican National Convention is underway, and President Bush is speaking on behalf of John McCain. This could be both a good and bad thing depending on how you look at it...of course, hving a president talk t a convention is important, but McCain is trying to distance himself from Bush, as the Democrats are often saying that McCain is the same as Bush. Obviously, they have their similarities, as they are both Republicans. But keep in mind that McCain was also an outcast in Republican circles because he disagreed with Bush on many issues, including Taxes and the way the war in Iraq was conducted.

You see, the difficulty for him is in his political base. While he wants to appeal to more independent voters like himself, he must also get the hard-core republicans who still like Bush to vote for him too. This is difficult in that McCain must appease two groups that feel differently than eachother, meaning he has to balance himself out to be in the middle of the two.

His pick of Sarah Palin as his Vice Presidential Candidate could be helpful, but many people are still upset that she's younger and more inexperienced than Obama. This throws his whole 'inexperience' argument out of the window. Yes she has been a fighter against Republican corruption in Alaska, yes she is conservative and represents family values...but c'mon! She was mayor of a city of only 7,000 then governor for less than two years...sadly that's just not enough to be president...I will give credit to the fact that she is the first republican VP candidate who's been a woman...

Well, those are my thoughts on McCain...i'llget to Obama in a bit...what do you guys think?

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
--Arrogance is Weakness
In order to possess pride, you must first possess shame.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
firegremlin

avatar

Number of posts : 2244
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:10 pm

i've never cared for american politics (or any politics for that matter) but you all realise that McCain (yay! scottish name) only chose Pali becasue she's a female and that it will help him get a the vote from females, you know that, right? Suspect
~firegremlin~
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2293
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:33 pm

lol naturally...he's trying to get some of the Hillary Clinton supporters who stll want a woman in the white house...but keep in mind, that is the nature of picking a vice president. It's more about picking someone who will help you WIN then who will be a truly good VP (ice system, huh?).

The same can be said of Obama-He chose Joseph Biden BECAUSE Biden is a Foreign Policy expert (Obama lacks in this field), because he is older and more experienced than Obama, AND because Biden appeals to working class voters (something Obama doesn't do because many label him a wealthy 'elitist'.)

This is the nature of American Politics, and i can understand why people may not like it all that much for some of these reasons...

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
--Arrogance is Weakness
In order to possess pride, you must first possess shame.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
waaar81

avatar

Number of posts : 2366
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:40 pm

Sorry I was too lazy too read what u wrote cory but I say Obama will win u will see!

The only reason he will win is because he's a democrate thats all!
Back to top Go down
http://watchbleachepisodesonline.50webs.com/bleach_episode_guide
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2293
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:01 pm

lol stop being so lazy ! Rolling Eyes But keep in mind everyone feels that way...BUT all of the polls show that they are basclly tied. How can this be whn everyone hates Republicans so much? Well, like i said in my earlier post...McCain is in the middle..he's not hardcore like Bush, and many people like him for that. Obama fel he would have an easy ride because of the reason you mentioned, but instead, they are tied, and democrats are worried. Obama must get his groups, like young voters and hard core democrats to come out and vote if he wants to hold an edge. He must also get the old Hillary Clinton supporters to come to his side...although many of them are stil upset, and may head towards Palin...lol as you can tell, it's a little more complicated than you might first expect.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
--Arrogance is Weakness
In order to possess pride, you must first possess shame.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
SmashedBrother
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2107
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Like I said in another thread (Characters that don't belong in Brawl) I started watching the election when it got interesting (Iowa) and mom turned into a school subject on politics, so basically I've been following the election and I'm posting my two cents (and probably my next debate with not only Cory, but everyone else, lol)

I don't have much time at the moment (and sorry if any of this is akwardly put or if it's unreadable, I'm in a hurry), I'll share my thought on the REAL candidates later, but several things have been said about Sarah Palin that I disagree with.


Forsaken Lament 04 wrote:
His pick of Sarah Palin as his Vice Presidential Candidate could be helpful, but many people are still upset that she's younger and more inexperienced than Obama. This throws his whole 'inexperience' argument out of the window.

Not really. The Republicans' experiance is on the TOP of the ticket, while the dems experiance is just a pretty face (Not that Biden's strikes me as a particularly attractive face lol! ) - and that's all VPs usually are. Still, I'll go ahead and point out the differences in experiance -

First, this link provides an accurate comparision of Sarah Palin and Barak Obama (and keep in mind who's running for what!)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Second, as I see it, experiance is valuable for three reasons -

1: To prepare them for the presidency (in this case) - As you've probably heard already, being mayor and then a governor for two years is a lot more relevant than being a do-nothing senator.

2: To show how they make decisions - Let's see, a person who fought against corruption and was responible in her post vs. a man who voted "present' over a 130 times...

3: Finally, what they consider important - Palin fought against corruption, for conservative values, wheras the only notable thing Barak Obama did as senator was to be one of only two senators who voted against the Born Alive Protection Act.

Who's more experianced?

_________________
Forsaken...Lament!

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2107
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Quote :
've never cared for american politics (or any politics for that matter) but you all realise that McCain (yay! scottish name) only chose Pali becasue she's a female and that it will help him get a the vote from females, you know that, right?

Quote :
but keep in mind, that is the nature of picking a vice president. It's more about picking someone who will help you WIN then who will be a truly good VP (ice system, huh?).

@Firegremlin (and indirectly @Waaar)- Actually, she was chosen for three political purposes that I can see -

1: Social Conservatives - The biggest factor in keeping the polls so close are the people who think that a guy who's willing to have babies who survived an abortion left to die (& thrown in the trash), not to mention supports partial birth abortion (where babies are partly delivered - but not the head, otherwise they might be human! -and have their brains cut out), someone who supports gay marriage (and anti-first (1st) amendment rights along that path) etc. ad nausem.

That's the base McCain really needed to rally and has done succesfully with Palin.

2: Fiscal Conservatives - As always another major base are fiscal conservatives (who don't like 55% tax rates, sending $845 BILLION dollars to Africa with our economy already doing poorly)McCain really needs support from the whole party, which is why he couldn't choose someone more competitent like Huckabee (not that he's bad in the fiscal areas, but thanks to Romney everyone thinks he is.)

3: Former Clinton Supporters who feel insulted by Obama overlooking Hilllary.

@Forsaken & Firegremlin - Palin was definetly a political choice, but I don't mind McCain playing to win, as long as he chooses someone who can do the job, which Palin seems to be capable of (on the off-chance she ever needs to) (especially if you think Obama's capable of taking the presidency. If you haven't checked the link in my last post already - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

P.S. Love this image!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

_________________
Forsaken...Lament!

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
firegremlin

avatar

Number of posts : 2244
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:25 pm

SmashedBrother wrote:
Quote :
've never cared for american politics (or any politics for that matter) but you all realise that McCain (yay! scottish name) only chose Pali becasue she's a female and that it will help him get a the vote from females, you know that, right?

Quote :
but keep in mind, that is the nature of picking a vice president. It's more about picking someone who will help you WIN then who will be a truly good VP (ice system, huh?).

@Firegremlin (and indirectly @Waaar)- Actually, she was chosen for three political purposes that I can see -

1: Social Conservatives - The biggest factor in keeping the polls so close are the people who think that a guy who's willing to have babies who survived an abortion left to die (& thrown in the trash), not to mention supports partial birth abortion (where babies are partly delivered - but not the head, otherwise they might be human! -and have their brains cut out), someone who supports gay marriage (and anti-first (1st) amendment rights along that path) etc. ad nausem.

That's the base McCain really needed to rally and has done succesfully with Palin.

2: Fiscal Conservatives - As always another major base are fiscal conservatives (who don't like 55% tax rates, sending $845 BILLION dollars to Africa with our economy already doing poorly)McCain really needs support from the whole party, which is why he couldn't choose someone more competitent like Huckabee (not that he's bad in the fiscal areas, but thanks to Romney everyone thinks he is.)

3: Former Clinton Supporters who feel insulted by Obama overlooking Hilllary.

@Forsaken & Firegremlin - Palin was definetly a political choice, but I don't mind McCain playing to win, as long as he chooses someone who can do the job, which Palin seems to be capable of (on the off-chance she ever needs to) (especially if you think Obama's capable of taking the presidency. If you haven't checked the link in my last post already - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

P.S. Love this image!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
meh...I don't really care Sleep
~firegremlin~
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2107
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:28 pm

Quote :
meh...I don't really care Sleep
~firegremlin~

Wha?... Sleep

_________________
Forsaken...Lament!

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
firegremlin

avatar

Number of posts : 2244
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:32 pm

SmashedBrother wrote:
Quote :
meh...I don't really care Sleep
~firegremlin~

Wha?... Sleep
hey, I'm scottish, why would I care about whose going to press the button to shoot 50 million nuclear missiles into the rest of the wor-- ah...
~firegremlin~
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2107
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:41 pm

firegremlin wrote:
SmashedBrother wrote:
Quote :
meh...I don't really care Sleep
~firegremlin~

Wha?... Sleep
hey, I'm scottish, why would I care about whose going to press the button to shoot 50 million nuclear missiles into the rest of the wor-- ah...
~firegremlin~

HEY! Don't talk that way about Obama! Sure he's going to give madman Nukes, but he the ONE!!! So who cares if he's ready...for...

...

Sleep

_________________
Forsaken...Lament!

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2293
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:52 pm

I'm quite surprised by your political insight Smashed...quite in depth for someone your age...i still think political science is one of your skills...

but I don't expect everyone to be interested, obviously someone from another country isn't going to be interested in all of this technical stuff they have no idea about...but it is important, especially as the US plays such a large role in the world.

As for myself, I am still quite stuck as to who to vote for...both are appealing to me...and I'm against blind faith in one party, regardless of which one it is. sigh...decisions decisions...neither one of them is making this easier.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
--Arrogance is Weakness
In order to possess pride, you must first possess shame.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
firegremlin

avatar

Number of posts : 2244
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:53 am

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
I'm quite surprised by your political insight Smashed...quite in depth for someone your age...i still think political science is one of your skills...

but I don't expect everyone to be interested, obviously someone from another country isn't going to be interested in all of this technical stuff they have no idea about...but it is important, especially as the US plays such a large role in the world.

As for myself, I am still quite stuck as to who to vote for...both are appealing to me...and I'm against blind faith in one party, regardless of which one it is. sigh...decisions decisions...neither one of them is making this easier.
I don't know (or care) about what mccain and obama have said in all their little outings to talk to people but you should choose obama because then USA will finally have a black president for the first time! cheers

~firegremlin~
Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 3628
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:04 pm

im going to be very truthful i do not keep up with the election as much as i should because this will be the first year i get to vote. my hat is off to smashed because he know more than me! i do know who i am voting for because of what my views are and how my views are close to one of them.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2293
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:17 pm

I think I know your pick Jody...but i know you want to kep it a secret so i won't make any guesses here.

As i said, I'm still undcided, but keep in mind, you can't just vote for someone because of it being a 'first' time. The important thing is the issues, yes, it would be great if we had a black president, or a woman president, or a Jewish president, or a Muslim President, BUT being Black, or being Hispanic, or Being Asian doesn't necessarily mean you are qualified to be president. I encourage people to look at the issues, before blindly voting for someone for a reason like that. It seems like blind faith is too common in this country...we need to think a little more sometimes....

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
--Arrogance is Weakness
In order to possess pride, you must first possess shame.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 3628
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:20 pm

its ok if you guess its not that big of a secret

and i agree 100% about voting for some one to be the "first" at something. the sad thing is that most of america will be voting based on some one being first and not knowing what his views are

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
firegremlin

avatar

Number of posts : 2244
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:21 pm

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
I think I know your pick Jody...but i know you want to kep it a secret so i won't make any guesses here.

As i said, I'm still undcided, but keep in mind, you can't just vote for someone because of it being a 'first' time. The important thing is the issues, yes, it would be great if we had a black president, or a woman president, or a Jewish president, or a Muslim President, BUT being Black, or being Hispanic, or Being Asian doesn't necessarily mean you are qualified to be president. I encourage people to look at the issues, before blindly voting for someone for a reason like that. It seems like blind faith is too common in this country...we need to think a little more sometimes....
i know what you mean but I wont be voting so...meh (but thats what I'll do when I'm 18 Cool
~firegremlin~


Last edited by firegremlin on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SilensCaelum
Moderator


Number of posts : 616
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:39 am

I can vote this year!! Hoo ray!!
cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://Last.fm.com/thestardweller
SilensCaelum
Moderator


Number of posts : 616
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:19 am

Lol I couldn't tell you smashed.. because I really don't know!
Back to top Go down
http://Last.fm.com/thestardweller
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 3628
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:11 pm

i may not be in the president race as much as i should but the one thing that i have been into alot is the senate race in my state

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
BrightScales
Pug & Yoshi Fan!
avatar

Number of posts : 1775
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:02 am

at this because Obama picked a bad vice president id vote Republican.
Back to top Go down
firegremlin

avatar

Number of posts : 2244
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:21 pm

OK here goes - what is the difference about being republican or democratic (or whatever they are called lol), i mean everyone makes a big deal of so what exactly does it mean? Suspect
~firegremlin~
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 2107
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:45 pm

@Jody - Thanks, but I' m the one who's taking both my hats (which I put on just so I could take them off to you) to you and Cory. It's sad how many people vote based on who's first, rather than who's best.

@Cory - Out of curiousity, why are you intereseted in Obama? I haven't found out why everyone's so exicted about him

@Firegremlin - I'll answer you laterm, when I have more time but basically the difference is the platform they're running on.

_________________
Forsaken...Lament!

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
avatar

Number of posts : 3628
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:43 pm

this is some cool news that the first debate is in Mississippi cheers

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 2008 Election News and Debate   

Back to top Go down
 
2008 Election News and Debate
Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Top 10 toys for 2008
» Kenora!!! Yesh! *Good News And Bad News*
» Hasbro's 2.5 foot millenium Falcon
» Target toy Sale 23rd July
» Jonathon Boakes and The Last Crown

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
For the Win! Gamer's Network :: FTW General Discussion :: Intellectual Discussion and Current Events-
Jump to: