For the Win! Gamer's Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 23 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 23 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 419 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:26 am
Latest topics
» Thank You!
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 1:52 am by SmashedBrother

» So, what've you all been up to?
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18064 messages in 767 subjects

Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming

Go down 
5 posters

READ THE ARTICLE FIRST--Which of these trends is hurting the game industry the most?
Good Voice cast with a bad Script
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Vote_lcap0%Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Too many games using the "Unreal Engine 3" Engine
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Vote_lcap0%Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Too many useless sequels
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Vote_lcap13%Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Announcing a trilogy before the 1st game is made
 0% [ 0 ]
Poor Production Values on Wii/PS2
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Vote_lcap13%Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Way too many "Mascot" spin off games
 13% [ 2 ]
Motion Control Gimmicks
 13% [ 2 ]
Unkept gaming promises
 13% [ 2 ]
Cliche female characters
 13% [ 2 ]
Casual Gaming
Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Vote_lcap20%Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Vote_rcap
 20% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Back

AuthorMessage
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

Number of posts : 2293

Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Empty
PostSubject: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 9:58 pm

I read this article, and found it extremely interesting-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So I'm wondering what you guys think...please read the article before you post!
Back to top Go down
https://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
StarRoadWarrior

Number of posts : 3628

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 10:07 pm

hmmm they all seem to a big problem but for me the big is all the empty promises that they say that will be in it. the prime example being brawl. many of you guys know what im talking about
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 4:29 pm

A very interesting article! Glad you posted this. To be honest, I think its the poor production values on some of the systems that seem to be the problem. That and the "casual gaming" mentality that's been going on particularly on the Wii. True, casual gaming is a good thing in order to appeal to those non-traditional gamers. But what about the hardcore gamer? When companies reach a certain level of stability and security, they tend to forget what made them what they are in the first place. I.E. Nintendo; Great system and adhers to those not used to th world of gaming. Their revolutionary method and style of games have lured so many different communities that its made the Wii a success. Sure a few games like Twilght Princess, Metroid and Brawl made it into the library of Wii games but not enough to satisfy the hardcore. So with this in mind, can one truly say the Wii is a success despite delivering a diversity of gamers something new? Its not just the Wii, but in the beginning, the PS3 was also lacking from poor production. It's only been recently that they've started to change their ways by delivering what fans and gamers really want.
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 8:35 pm

I feel the same Blitzsword. While i think it is great that videogames are finally appealing to the wider audience(the wii is extremely popular in retirement homes), this trend has begun to spread to all of the major systems, and not just the wii. Look at 360's new dashboard with its copied miis, and I believe PS3 has something as well in its new "Home" feature. For those in the "casual" group, this is a welcome addition. It is also a welcome addition to those who work in the videogame industry, as they no longer have to put a lot of effort in their games to make money. Just look at Wii's 2008 lineup! Only 10% appealed to the hardcore in some way, and the Wii had the most games by far which scored under a 4.0! Despite these poor game efforts, the developers are making a killing...and now this is spreading to all systems. If people are worried about gaming becoming a truly "casual" affair in the coming years, they may have a legitimate concern...
Back to top Go down
BrightScales
Pug & Yoshi Fan!
BrightScales

Number of posts : 1775

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 9:05 pm

I agree with a lot of that list... Razz
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator
SmashedBrother

Number of posts : 2107

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Interesting topic, Cory. Thanks for posting this article. (could you post the sequel when it comes out? Thanks!)

1: Casual gaming - isn't quite the root of all evil, but it's a good chunk of it. Don't get me wrong, it's great that senior citizen and everyone in the 'casual" have something to interest them, but what I hate is that Nintendo is focusing on the one and totally forgetting the other. I don't think we're going to end up in casual land forever(though it sure feels like it Mad ) (worst case scenerio I can see is that a new company will probably take up what Nintendo used to do....)

Just my two cents, but I don't think Brain Age and Wii fit were the great offenders, like IGN says. It was all the games that tried to copy them.

I'll rank the others later.

Last edited by SmashedBrother on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 12:45 pm

SmashedBrother wrote:
Interesting topic, Cory. Thanks for showing this article. (could you post the sequel when it comes out? Thanks!)

1: Casual gaming - isn't quite the root of all evil, but it's a good chunk of it. Don't get me wrong, it's great that senior citizen and everyone in the 'casual" have something to interest them, but what I hate is that Nintendo is focusing on the one and totally forgetting the other. I don't think we're going to end up in casual land forever(though it sure feels like it Mad ) (worst case scenerio I can see is that a new company will probably take up what Nintendo used to do....)

Just my two cents, but I don't think Brain Age and Wii fit were the great offenders, like IGN says. It was all the games that tried to copy them.

That's pretty much what we said =P

That and the fact that there is poor production on the Wii. Not enough games to satisfy the hard core. Casual gaming alone isn't the main issue, but a variety of things that contribute to this "Perfect Storm" of failure for the hardcore.
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator
SmashedBrother

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Blitzsword wrote:
SmashedBrother wrote:
Interesting topic, Cory. Thanks for showing this article. (could you post the sequel when it comes out? Thanks!)

That's pretty much what we said =P

That and the fact that there is poor production on the Wii. Not enough games to satisfy the hard core. Casual gaming alone isn't the main issue, but a variety of things that contribute to this "Perfect Storm" of failure for the hardcore.

Well, great minds think alike, no? Wink Yeah, casual is just one problem out of many. I don't think it's the end of video games as we know it, like a couple people said a while back. Still, it's really irritating....I don't think I totally qualify as "hardcore" but I do like

Speaking of which, overall, I think mascots are a plus (although you can definetly overuse them....Mario Basketball and Tennis anyone (not to mention Mario Party 2,078,795 Neutral EDIT: Opps, sorry. They just released Mario Party 2,078,796 - wait, no. That was already released. This one is No. 2,078,797. Wait, there go's another one Shocked ) it's when Nintendo doesn't try to create any new, great games that it becomes a problem IMO.

Last edited by SmashedBrother on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Yes! Lol! I actually agree with this as well! If they would only be a little more creative in their mascots and the makings of new games, perhaps Nintendo could deliver to the hardcore. Very good point SmashedBrother! Honestly this is something that I never thought of until you pointed it out. Mario is cool and everything, but I think he's overused. Nintendo has so many great mascots out there, but they're rarely given any spotlight.

Last edited by Blitzsword on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 3:50 pm

I think the Brain Age and Wii Fit comment are well taken. They are good games that can appeal to both audiences...I really don't think those are a strong offender. I think the real problem arrives when casual game is combined with poor production values. And by this (Like Luis said), you get a bunch of 3rd party developers who want to make a quick buck, and know they can trick the senior citizen or the young kid.

But an even bigger problem is the fact that Nintendo is doing nothing to stop it-why should they? they're outselling both Microsoft and Sony three-fold! But in my opinion, things won't always be pretty for Nintendo--you can only make so many "wii sports" or "wii fits"....unlike a mascot, you can't really do much else with these titles, and eventually the entire system will become dull. There's also the issue of the next generation. While it may still be a while off, I don't think it will be Nintendo which will change much this time, it will be the others. Just imagine, Sony and Microsoft taking advantage of motion control and the rumored "3D gameplay", but applying it to the games that are truly considered hardcore! Once this happens, I think we'll see a huge reversal in the Console wars...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 12:21 am

If Nintendo continues doing what they're doing they'll wnd up in the place Sony is at right now. They have so many crappy third party games, coupled with all their casual games, and they barely have 4 real hardcore titles. The majority of wii hardcore gamers have one, maybe two or three games on the wii, and most likely either a PS3 or an Xbox360 to help fill that hole in their hearts for hardcore games that Nintendo is thus far failing to fill itself. What Nintendo needs to keep in mind is the fact that the PS2 started out just like the PS3 is; far behind when the race starts but far ahead when the other two are tired out. 2009 might not be a good year for Nintendo if they don't recognize this and make more games for the hardcore fanbase- before Sony drops the price of the PS3 this summer. Third Party developers are trying to step it up, with the Conduit and Madworld, but they are still getting blown away.

Nintendo: In the lead of sales in 2008, yet by far the biggest letdown home consolewise.
Back to top Go down
---

Number of posts : 63

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 12:07 pm

well usually, thats the time where I start an argument because I think differently lol

nut on this topic, I can only agree, I do own a wii and to be frank, I'm still awating the games I used to play when I was a kid, I want remakes if not sequels of theses games and what I get is a ton of crappy looking games from devvelopers I never seen before, I'm dissapointed

I used to play quite a lot but now I rarely play games
but aside from nintendo, I've recently seen some really interesting games annoonced and
it pleases me, it's from sony they are putting quite a fight on the psp, they make sequels of my favorites
games and they take title from japan we were not meant to get I'm talking about Star Ocean ( the ps1 version ) they made a remake plus they translated the first game which is good because most people played the second story but never knew about the first title they still make ps2 games and I think it's for the best, in my oppinion, they are trying to make a smooth transition from ps2 to ps3 since most of the ps3 are still insuficiant to make people want a ps3 they still make ps2 games

I think I'm getting away from the topic here XD
ok so yea, 3th party games aare a pain I dont mind sega since they actually had there shot for a console and they do have good titles but what is important to look at is the ratio of hard core gamers VS casual gamers since they dont get profit after the game is sold, I think that casual gamers make most of the game industry go around they buy games that costs the less and were cheaply made but they buy them in mass quantity so the profit's there
the new FF may kick ass and it may sell tons of copies but the cost for the game to be developpd itself may make casual games be more profitable, just a thought

and some of you may think that nintendo is only going after the monney, well DHU it's a busyness after all >.>
but dont froget that people buying cheap games and yougn children playing them dont criticise like hard core players and if I was nintendo I'd do the same, hard core gamers are a real pain in the ass, developpers put time and efforts in making games and gamers destroy them by over critisicm >.>
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator
SmashedBrother

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:09 pm

Ensepth wrote:

the new FF may kick ass and it may sell tons of copies but the cost for the game to be developpd itself may make casual games be more profitable, just a thought

and some of you may think that nintendo is only going after the monney, well DHU it's a busyness after all >.>
but dont froget that people buying cheap games and yougn children playing them dont criticise like hard core players and if I was nintendo I'd do the same, hard core gamers are a real pain in the ass, developpers put time and efforts in making games and gamers destroy them by over critisicm >.>

Too True! Nintendo doesn't owe us anything more than what we pay it. Still, I don't think the casual trend will continue to be profitable forever (how many clones of Brain Age & Wii Fit will people buy? Remember, these are mostly casual gamers, they're not fanaticly waiting for Brain Age 3 the way fans will be looking for Mario Party 1,039,856 (oops, that one's out! I meant Mario Party 1,039,857 lol! ) and the next LoZ)

Much as I love LoZ and Mario, I really wish Nintendo would try for NEW great games instead of just throwing out a new sequel for one of those two and hoping that it keeps more hard-core gamers happy.....I like Nintendo, even now, but I really miss the variety the SNES had....
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 11:55 am

I agree with you to a point Smashed. I do think that Nintendo owes its hardcore fanbase something. It has simply been too long since we've gotten any sort of treatment(remember brawl came out more than a year ago now), and the "casual" focus is isolating the traditional fanbase.

At the same time, I also think Nintendo needs to explore new game ideas which would be comparable to title like Zelda or Mario. Microsoft and Sony do it all the time, hence why they hold so many enormously popular game franchises. Sequels to Mario and Zelda are fine, but how long can they keep on doing this? the casual focus will only remain profitable for as long as the "wow" factor of the wii remains...which is basically for as long as Soccer Moms and Senior Citizens buy it in droves...and when it comes to targeting demographics, I would call the "casual" market frail at best. There will come a time when the fad dies out....then what Nintendo?
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator
SmashedBrother

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 2:48 pm

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
I agree with you to a point Smashed. I do think that Nintendo owes its hardcore fanbase something. It has simply been too long since we've gotten any sort of treatment(remember brawl came out more than a year ago now), and the "casual" focus is isolating the traditional fanbase. At the same time, I also think Nintendo needs to explore new game ideas which would be comparable to title like Zelda or Mario. Microsoft and Sony do it all the time, hence why they hold so many enormously popular game franchises. Sequels to Mario and Zelda are fine, but how long can they keep on doing this? the casual focus will only remain profitable for as long as the "wow" factor of the wii remains...which is basically for as long as Soccer Moms and Senior Citizens buy it in droves...and when it comes to targeting demographics, I would call the "casual" market frail at best. There will come a time when the fad dies out....then what Nintendo?

I think we need to be careful to distinguish between "owes" and "should". Nintendo owes us what we pay for. It's Nintendo's right to determine what products it wants to sell, and seriously, frustrating as it is, Nintendo would be utterly stupid to pass up this easy gold mine. The problem is that in doing so, they're cutting off their base and replacing it with some people to carry it. When those people get bored, the big N is going to have a very thin base to fall on......

Basically, I don't blame them for focusing on casual, (though I'm really frustrated with it, though at least I still have a long list of good games to catch up on to keep me busy.) but they're putting all their eggs in a very unsteady basket.........it make take a few years.....it might be this year, but sooner or later I'm betting it'll fall. Casual gamers are, by definition, not fanatics about gaming. I don't expect Nintendo to fail, but it might need a rebuilding phase.

P.S. Just to clarify on what I said earlier, I don't mean that Nintendo should make every game with the intent to build a huge franchise. I mean that Nintendo should make more quality games than the three or four BIG SERIES games that come out (I don't necessarily mean 1st party either.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Ok, I'm just going to share a few things with you guys that I think you're missing about Nintendo this generation.

Nintendo has developed/published 14 updates or sequels to their existing franchises on the Wii and they currently have more on the way. These include Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Mario Strikers and Sluggers, The Wario Games. Super Paper Mario, Pokemon, and Battalion Wars 2. While each of those games may not be everyone's cup of tea, they are all diverse experiences made with a considerable amount of quality. To say that these titles are failed efforts or that they cater to the casual craze sweeping gaming today is a bold faced lie.

Nintendo is continuing to revitalize classic franchises, bringing back Punch Out for the first time in 15 years (which at least means there is hope for Kid Icarus) in an experience that is essentially pure fan service. If you've never played the original Punch Out back on the NES, then you have no idea how huge of a release this really is. For some Nintendo fans, this is just as big as the next Mario or Zelda. Not only that, Pikmin 3 is confirmed and we're getting another title in the "Excite" series of racers. Sure, we're still missing F Zero, Star Fox, and Kirby, but I'm going to wait until this years E3 before I complain that we're not getting franchises that haven't had significant console releases in the past 10 years.

Now, onto what Nintendo has REALLY been doing for hardcore gamers this generation. On the Virtual Console, there are 19 Japanese imports that were previously unreleased in the U.S., most of which are localized. Among these are a few great platformers and a bunch of great shmups (shmups are about as "hardcore" as you can get, lol), including Sin and Punishment. Sales of S&P were solid, leading Nintendo to approach Treasure about developing a sequel exclusively for the Wii. This makes one wonder, are there other import titles on the VC that were released to gauge interest, with possibility of sequels? I believe that there are, as another of the imports was also a well received Treasure title. Hopefully people start to catch on to the quality titles that have been imported, and hopefully Nintendo continues to allow new imports on their service.

Unfortunately, Nintendo has fallen when it comes to delivering new IPs. I'm not going to say they've failed completely, but they sure haven't made well with a lot of their promises. Where they have succeeded is on their own Wiiware service, delvering the respectable MaBoshi, Art Style, and Bonsai Barber games. New full console IPs have been of the "Wii something" variety, Endless Ocean, and NA-less titles such as Captain Rainbow and Disaster: Day of Crisis. They also failed to deliver Project HAMMER, so they really need to pick up on their slack with new titles. I'm not trying to say they haven't been delivering great titles, if you compare it to last generation the only worthwhile new franchises that they developed/published were Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and Eternal Darkness, two of which received or are receiving a sequel.

Who knows if Nintendo will ever deliver when it comes to original IPs. It's encouraging that they've opened a brand new dev studio called Project Sora, which is headed by Kirby and Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai. They're also publishing some interesting looking new games, Dynamic Slash, Spawn Smasher, Tact of Magic, and Line Heroes, and Trace Memory. Who knows what Retro Studio studio is up to, maybe they've been given creative control now that the Prime trilogy is finished? All things to ponder.

I don't believe Nintendo has done everything right, but their mistakes really have nothing to do with their software line-up. Crowding store shelves with peripherals, having terrible online support, broken publishing deals, and not knowing when casual players AREN'T watching. Soccer mom's and 8 year olds aren't watching Live feeds of E3. Casual players don't even know what E3 is. Luckily, their GDC keynote was about 5 times better than last year's E3, so hopefully they've learned. It's also good news that this year's E3 is going back to the wonderful clusterf**k it was in the past.

Oh, and cliche female characters are killing gaming.
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 10:08 pm

I think part of the issue with Nintendo is simply the fact that it has just been so damn long since it's had a triple A release. I haven't played Punch Out! But I'll take your word on how big it is. But what have we seen since brawl? Animal Crossing: City Folk(which many consider a half-hearted sequel), Wii Fit, and Wii Music...all casual affairs. It's true Nintendo has come out with amazing games..it's just that the pacing hasn't worked particularly well. I don't think I'm the only one who was upset with 2008's E3...at heart though, I want Nintendo to succeed...I believe casual and hardcore games can blend perfectly on Wii to make the system the most popular, and respected system of all.

To turn attention away from Nintendo though, I think another trend that is hurting gaming is the extreme emphasis on online play. Sure online is fun...in fact, it has certainly revolutionized gaming in a way people simply could not have imagined years and years ago. This development however, has hurt many franchises that once relished single player. is it a problem when a game features online play on the side, as an extra mode? Of course not...that is welcome, and in fact, should be in most games. The problem, however, lies with many games become solely online affairs. Of course, I'm referring to Resident Evil 5 with this rant, but it is not RE5 alone. As a Bioshock fan, I know how amazing single player can be. They insist on including online co-op in BS2 however, and I feel it simply does not belong. The same can be said of several shooters, which are simply becoming less and less fun to play alone...as someone who has spent 90% of my gaming life playing single player, this trend is harmful in my humble opinion...and I fear it will only grow until Single Player is really a thing of the past.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming   Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ten Trends that are Destroying Gaming
Page 1 of 1