The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 52 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm
Latest topics
» Thank You!
Tue May 22, 2018 1:52 am by SmashedBrother

» So, what've you all been up to?
Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18064 messages in 767 subjects

Share | 

Endangered Animals and Environmental Discussion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
l33tsmasher

Number of posts : 221

PostSubject: Endangered Animals and Environmental Discussion   Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:43 pm

i had no clue that the kiwi birds of new zeland were endangerd! i thought they were a cute little bird that was plenty populated but they are endangerd. it seems that natural predators and not humans are killing them. i thought this was very interesting because i dont know many endangerd animals. if you guys know any interesting endangerd animals, post them here because i like these kind of topics.

if you want to learn more about what a kiwi bird is, go to the link below:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

i know this is a video game site so thats why i posted this under intelectual discussion cherry

DONT DIE KIWI BIRDIE! DONT DIE! T.T
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Re: Endangered Animals and Environmental Discussion   Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:49 pm

Wow, I didn't know about that Ty...that's really a shame. I think it's a fact that about 30 or so species of animals go extinct every few hours, which is really scary when you think about it. And Global Warming isn't helping either....they say it might not be long until the Polar bears and other Arctic animals are wiped out....it's really sad.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
l33tsmasher

Number of posts : 221

PostSubject: Re: Endangered Animals and Environmental Discussion   Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:31 am

Oh. My. Dear. God. THATS HORRIBLE! i cant believe that that many animal species are going extinct every few hours! i feel horrible about all this.
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator

Number of posts : 2107

PostSubject: Re: Endangered Animals and Environmental Discussion   Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:49 pm

Umm, just before everyone gets too panicked, I'm pretty sure the number was significantly lower than that (not that any number is good)

I've never heard of kiwi birds before.....it's kind of sad just how many species I've never even heard of are dying off.....

@Cory - I don't know too much about global warming (although my science course last year was really interesting because it talked about things like that.), but from what I've heard of global warming, it looks more like a natural series of the temperature alternating up and down than anything else....... not that pollution is good either way, but from what I've heard there's a lot of assumptions in the global warming theory. Even the Ozone hole is only very seasonal (and I think it's partly natural too0 I could try to find something on it if you like.

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Re: Endangered Animals and Environmental Discussion   Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:48 pm

Yes, it's really too bad...actually, I haven't heard of the Kiwi bird either, and unfortunately if things continue the way they have been, few people will.

As for Global Warming, it is true that the Earth's climate fluxuates over time, however, never in Earth's history has it changed so much in such a short period of time. By short period of time I mean the drastic shift in human population following the Industrial Revolution of the late 1800's. The Earth is overpopulated, resources are drying up, and humans are unnaturally reproducing and living longer. If you look at the history of the human race, the human population remained stable until the Industrial Revolution, where it expanded several fold. Better technology leads to better medicine, food, healthcare, etc...hence, people live longer and are able to reproduce more. More people leads to an exhaustion of resources, and an exponential increase in polution.

For years many proclaimed Global Warming to be nothing more than a myth spread by Left wing extremists. I'll admit I thought it was fake at first. The scientific community, however, has come to a rather broad consensus that it is fact, and that it already may be too late. We need to recycle more, use more earth-friendly products, and pollute less. It may be too late to stop this completely, but at least we can hinder the effects...

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Endangered Animals and Environmental Discussion   Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:42 pm

Here's a pic of the bird:

Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator

Number of posts : 2107

PostSubject: Re: Endangered Animals and Environmental Discussion   Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:46 pm

Quote :
Yes, it's really too bad...actually, I haven't heard of the Kiwi bird either, and unfortunately if things continue the way they have been, few people will.

Hopefully it can be saved, but yeah, the ways things are going....it's too bad.

Quote :
For years many proclaimed Global Warming to be nothing more than a myth spread by Left wing extremists. I'll admit I thought it was fake at first. The scientific community, however, has come to a rather broad consensus that it is fact, and that it already may be too late. We need to recycle more, use more earth-friendly products, and pollute less. It may be too late to stop this completely, but at least we can hinder the effects...

This is what really ticks me off about the way people are handling this. You know what percentage of scientists agree global warming is definitely a threat? 17% on the other hand 53% don't believe in it at all, while 30% aren't sure. Not exactly a huge scientific consensus.

The thing I really hate about this kind of thing is that in many ways the enviromentalists do have some good points, in other less debatable ways, like getting rid of pollution. The problem with hyping, exaggerating, and outright lying about this issue is that they end up polarizing people. Unfortunately some polliticians care more about using this issue to pass their agendas than actually doing something useful.(i.e. using the overpopulation lie as an excuse to spread abortion. Rolling Eyes More on this in a sec)

Quote :
As for Global Warming, it is true that the Earth's climate fluxuates over time, however, never in Earth's history has it changed so much in such a short period of time.

The temperature has not changed any significant amount over that period. It's switched about a couple of degrees. A lot of graphs make it seem more drastic by using smaller measerments, but it really isn't that impressive. The bottom line is that - Yes, it's warmer than it has been in a while, but not much, and it's been warmer still before with no problems. Besides that, there are quite a few scientists (I think about the same percentage as those for global warming. ) who actually think we're cooling off. In both cases I'd prefer more evidence before I start watching for the sky to fall.

Quote :
By short period of time I mean the drastic shift in human population following the Industrial Revolution of the late 1800's. The Earth is overpopulated, resources are drying up, and humans are unnaturally reproducing and living longer. If you look at the history of the human race, the human population remained stable until the Industrial Revolution, where it expanded several fold. Better technology leads to better medicine, food, healthcare, etc...hence, people live longer and are able to reproduce more. More people leads to an exhaustion of resources, and an exponential increase in polution.

How are humans unnaturally reproducing? Do you mean cloning?

First off, the Earth is not overpopulated. It's not even close, though it might feel that way in Chicago Wink Theoretically that could happen, but there are a lot of things the people who say this don't take into account. Generally the people who are arguing for overpopulation usually quote the birth rate, but forget about the death rate (which thanks to abortion is exceeding the birth rate significantly.) You need two babies per family just to replenish the current population and an additional 0.2 to make up for tragic accidents. The world is averaging something like 1.7. though it varies from place to place.

Also, they leave out the fact that the more people there are, the more producers we have. Mankind doesn't just consume. We probaby have the largest surplus of things such as food in history. We're also developing alternative forms of energy that don't deplete for all intents and purposes. (Most likely we'll be long gone by the time either the sun or ocean runs out.)

What I'm trying to point here is that many arguments for overpopulation totally focus on the negatives, (& potential negatives) and ignore the "good side" of the coin, which often counteracts or disproves the theory. A lot of times, politicians and the media use the overpopulation "theory" to pass a pro-abortion agenda (killing 40 million babies world-wide doesn't sound so bad if you can wrap something good with it, even though the thing isn't even close to being equal to abortion. (This is the same idea with embryonic stem cell research, which is ironic considering that embryonic stem cells have only been able to cause cancer so far, wheras stem cells taken from adults kill no one, but they have been extremely succesful medically.))

Sad, but everything I've seen so far says true.

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Endangered Animals and Environmental Discussion   

Back to top Go down

Endangered Animals and Environmental Discussion
Page 1 of 1