The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 52 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:34 pm
Latest topics
» Thank You!
Tue May 22, 2018 1:52 am by SmashedBrother

» So, what've you all been up to?
Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18064 messages in 767 subjects

Share | 

The Swine Flu Situation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: The Swine Flu Situation   Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this on the news(there's no way you could miss it if you have watched the news), but there is a virus which is currently spreading across the world which COULD be end up becoming an epidemic...

It's called the "Swine Flu", and it began in Mexico, and has quickly spread from pigs to humans, and now from human to human. It is a severe influenza that is still mutating, but could become extremely deadly...even worse, is that there is no cure.

It has quickly spread from Mexico, to the U.S., and now to other countries via people on airplanes who give it to people they encounter. The World Health Organization has raised the emergency level to 4...the highest level being 6(complete epidemic and mass disease). While it's still not extremely serious(the only deaths have been in Mexico), the very thought of it is freaking me out...

Many scientists have said it could die out and be nothing, but things have been getting worse...I guess we'll have to wait and see...hopefully everyone here will stay healthy.

--Which would you prefer? Cheap Happiness or sublime suffering?
Perhaps sometimes ignorance really is bliss...
Back to top Go down
http://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

Number of posts : 3628

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:30 pm

o have no fear my friend your not really the one in danger for 2 reasons

#1 the first fear was that it was transferred by eating pork which is not true as long as its cooked and since you do not eat it you have nothing to worry about

#2 you do not come into contact with anybody that comes into contact with pigs. (or i dont think you do) i should be the one that is worried because i raise pigs but Mississippi Agriculture department has spent the past few days when it first hit the news going from farm to farm and having every single head of swine test for the flu and so far none (including my family and livestock) have come back as positive for the flu.

StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:02 pm

how to protect yourself

well the best way is to just use your brain. wash you hands and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. because well DUUU this prevents the spread of ANY germs and bacteria if its swine flu, bird flu, or human flu. many experts believer that the swine flu is almost the same as a normal human flu which is almost true because the pigs anatomy is almost the same as a normal human anatomy. that is why you see on mythbuster you see them use a pig for "human" test subjects.

SmashedBrother
Administrator

Number of posts : 2107

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Lol Cory, I'm the one who should be freaking out. I'm a LOT farther south than you (I'm a Texan remember? You could be Mexico City and just hop over the border.....almost Wink ) and I eat so much that the virus could easilly mistake me for a pig Wink Laughing

That said, it's worth been careful. My dad's been sick for a week or so, and I've been pretty sick for the last two-three days. (I hate to admit it, but I was just a little paranoid when I first heard about the flu, lol! (it was just yesterday, right before I read your post as a matter of fact.)

Like Jody said, just use common sense (whatever that is confused ) and you should be ok.

The war to end all Waaars is coming.

R.I.P.qjr!

The Grim(lin) reaper has come!

Jordan.....Prepare for the Geno-cide!

We shall Battle and you shall Cry!

I'm SmashedBrother, but your Smashed Brothers!

Nobody messes with Texas!
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:51 pm

It really doesn't matter how far south you are I'm afraid to say...all it takes s just one person to spread it, and already it has spread to New York, and apparently to Chicago as well. Now there are rumors that it is in my county...

The World Health Organization just raised the emergency level to 5 out of 6, and claim "all of humanity is under threat"...I know it's easy to blow this off, but this is really spreading rapidly, and it won't be long before it is at all of our own back doors.

oh, and again, there is no cure...

Back to top Go down
waaar81

Number of posts : 2366

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Well personnaly Im not worried that much. I dont think I will catch it. I never eat pork nor do I have people around who eat it much these days. pls no one is sick around here. But my bro just came back from Boston as I write this I hope no one had it there What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://watchbleachepisodesonline.50webs.com/bleach_episode_guide
SilensCaelum

Number of posts : 616

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:35 pm

waaar81 wrote:
I never eat pork nor do I have people around who eat it much these days.

The swine flu is not transmitted through the consumption of animal flesh. It is a human-human transmitted virus meaning that it is airborne and can be spread from person to person in a matter of seconds. This is what WHO (World health organization) and CDC (center for disease control) are referring to as a PANDEMIC. This disease has the potential to spread around the world in a matter of weeks. The severity of the actual flu is not causing the most concern, it is in fact how fast it is transmitted.

There are 2 antiviral medicines that are helping those with the flu heal, however, because this is a virus, it will always be in you whether it is active or dormant.

If you feel sick stay home. The easiest way to control this disease is to contain it. Be smart everyone.

Oh, and wash your hands....

A LOT.
study
Back to top Go down
http://Last.fm.com/thestardweller
waaar81

Number of posts : 2366

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Well I dont get sick easily, guess I have an anti virus thing in me like wolverine lol. But anyway I heard they locked up entrys and exits in mexico, but Im not sure. I know I heard it somewhere. Anyone has any news on that? Is it true or not?
Back to top Go down
http://watchbleachepisodesonline.50webs.com/bleach_episode_guide
firegremlin

Number of posts : 2244

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:09 pm

There's this family I know of who just recently came back from holiday from Mexico. As soon as they touched down in Glasgow Airport they were rushed into a sterile room by a froup of men and women all wearing full-body suits and masks. Imagine their astonishment at that!
anyway, accrodingly to the newspaper I get, the USA has recorded their first case of death by Swine flu I'm not sure where it was but I believe it was a toddler of Mexican origin. At the moment there are 5 suspected cases in Great Britain which, I think, is fourth highest in the world. Mexico is highest (obviously), USA is second, and it's either Italy or France which is third
Back to top Go down
BrightScales
Pug & Yoshi Fan!

Number of posts : 1775

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:59 pm

first off It is way over exagerated... As long as you have an ok emune system youll be just fine... by the way the death was from a guy that was crossing the USA (not from here) some coutries (like mexico) dont have as clean of food and water so when they get swine flu their emune systems are not near as good as people from the US or UK
Back to top Go down
koopa_under_fire

Number of posts : 352

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Fri May 01, 2009 8:10 am

It's not all that deadly in the US so far, and they can't really figure out why. I read there has only been one death in the US. Also it's really not "Swine Flu" it's two strains of human flu, one swine, and a strain of one other type, I believe that's what I read. I know it's more human than anything though, I'm not worried, I'll just keep living life the way I've been living.
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Fri May 01, 2009 12:00 pm

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
It really doesn't matter how far south you are I'm afraid to say...all it takes s just one person to spread it, and already it has spread to New York, and apparently to Chicago as well. Now there are rumors that it is in my county...

The World Health Organization just raised the emergency level to 5 out of 6, and claim "all of humanity is under threat"...I know it's easy to blow this off, but this is really spreading rapidly, and it won't be long before it is at all of our own back doors.

oh, and again, there is no cure...

@Cory - I agree that it would be a very bad idea to just blow this off, but panicking isn't going to help either. To my knowledge there has never been a cure for a flu because it adapts so darn well. (not that I'm anything remotely resembling an expert here)

I was pretty freaked out when I learned about the bird flu some time back (which I think had a much higher death rate than the swine flu seems to have so far) but it never happened, and even if it had being freaked out wouldn't help all that much most likely.

So basically, be smart about it. Just don't worry too much either. (btw. If you're interested, I think you can track the progress of it online. I'll see if I can find a link)

pugsly1000 wrote:
first off It is way over exagerated... As long as you have an ok emune system youll be just fine... by the way the death was from a guy that was crossing the USA (not from here) some coutries (like mexico) dont have as clean of food and water so when they get swine flu their emune systems are not near as good as people from the US or UK

That's immune system.

Unfortunately a toddler died in a hospital down just yesterday, so we have had at least one American death.

P.S. +rep to Jody & Skye for the info.

R.I.P.qjr!

Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Fri May 01, 2009 11:58 pm

ok every just to help lower the stress and worry level here is a very good article

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Mon May 11, 2009 11:05 pm

well, there have been about 500 cases in Illinois, but it does look like it's dying out...thank goodness!! I have to admit I was freaking out just a bit back there! Sad

Back to top Go down
BrightScales
Pug & Yoshi Fan!

Number of posts : 1775

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 pm

Well just got are first death in utah pale
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Thu May 21, 2009 5:40 pm

Yeah...it's not going away...but I've heard news they are working on a vaccine. Either way, it doesn't look as bad as everyone(including myself, I admit Embarassed ) originally thought. Still, I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Thu May 21, 2009 9:52 pm

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
Yeah...it's not going away...but I've heard news they are working on a vaccine. Either way, it doesn't look as bad as everyone(including myself, I admit Embarassed ) originally thought. Still, I wouldn't write it off just yet.

ABOUT THE VACCINE: I can't find the article, but before you go off and try any vaccines, there was an earlier flu outbreak way back (might even have been swine flu. this isn't the only time it's broken out) but the vaccine actually caused a LOT more harm (sometimes even paralyzing people.)

Personally, (knowing first-hand that the vaccine industry isn't the most..... careful.) I'd rather stick with the off-chance of swine flu.......

R.I.P.qjr!

Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Thu May 28, 2009 11:53 am

Well, it seems that it's getting almost no attention now, although there have been several deaths in New York City, as well as at least 2 deaths in Illinois now...

Oh, and a bunch of Maryland teens are being quarantined in China because the Chinese think they're sick(even though they're not)...man, that's got to stink...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:06 pm

I guess it's been so long that this topic is unimportant now, I haven't been following the news, I barely ever do unless everyone is talking about it, like this.

Even if I wasn't in Australia and basically in no danger at all, I find that people got way to worked up about it, as Pugs said, the deaths that had occurred were in Mexico, where the immune system is usually quite frightful in the population.

There's still more deaths from regular influenza than swine flu, it's widespread, but if you use your brain and take good care of yourself, it's not going to be fatal to you.

Again, my opinion is probably redundant, since the topic has been dead for so long I'm assuming something was on the news about the vaccine being successful, but that's what I basically have said to everyone who had brought up the topic to me in conversation.
Back to top Go down
samco

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:02 am

I live in California (central valley) and nobody I know had the swine flu. Its more than likely I came in contact with it and......i think i didn't catch it????

Although i was sick for a few times between the months Feb-may im sure it wasn't the swine flu??? If you look at how many people dieing (compared to the many ....many people who been in contact) im sure you can see its not as scary as u think it is.
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:04 pm

Agreed. It was pretty hyped. Just follow the things that you're hopefully already doing (i.e. wash your hands) and there isn't any serious danger.

R.I.P.qjr!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Swine Flu Situation   

Back to top Go down

The Swine Flu Situation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
For the Win! Gamer's Network :: FTW General Discussion :: Intellectual Discussion and Current Events-
Jump to: