For the Win! Gamer's Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 419 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:26 am
Latest topics
» Thank You!
What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 1:52 am by SmashedBrother

» So, what've you all been up to?
What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18064 messages in 767 subjects

What makes a good boss?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SmashedBrother
Administrator
SmashedBrother

Number of posts : 2107

What makes a good boss? Empty
PostSubject: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 12:08 pm

I saw an interesting topic on another forum (think it was IGN) - What makes a boss a good boss? Do you prefer them to be challenging? Cinematic? Do you like them to have some kind of hidden weakness, or do you prefer a simple, hit 'em till they're down?

......Or do you just hate all bosses?
Back to top Go down
waaar81

waaar81

Number of posts : 2366

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Good topic!

I would say that a good boss would be a hard and long one.
Thats why I like the bosses in RPG games. Other facts that would make a good boss is the ones that you dont know at first how to fight it or how to kill/damage it.
Back to top Go down
http://watchbleachepisodesonline.50webs.com/bleach_episode_guide
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm going to have to agree with Waaar on this one.

The boss has to be difficult, and make you put a lot of time into it...otherwise a boss is just a bigger normal bad guy, which is boring!

Of course, I love a good opening cinematic, and a TON of emotion is great for an epic fight....if the boss is meaningful to the story and has a good character, it makes it all the more climactic!

A great examle of this would be No More Heroes...every boss character had an in-depth story and great opening before a challenging and rewarding fight...

of course, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy games are known for epic fights as well...Sephiroth, Jecht and Vayne are great examples...
Back to top Go down
https://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
waaar81

waaar81

Number of posts : 2366

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 11:02 pm

you foprgot the sorceress in FF VIII not sure if the real one or the first one was better
Back to top Go down
http://watchbleachepisodesonline.50webs.com/bleach_episode_guide
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
StarRoadWarrior

Number of posts : 3628

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 4:26 pm

SmashedBrother wrote:
I saw an interesting topic on another forum (think it was IGN) - What makes a boss a good boss? Do you prefer them to be challenging? Cinematic? Do you like them to have some kind of hidden weakness, or do you prefer a simple, hit 'em till they're down?

......Or do you just hate all bosses?

yes to the above that is colored. there had been several times that i would just keep hitting away only to find out there was some weakness like in madworld or in a few fights in earthbound
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:05 pm

They should have a good weakness, but not too huge of a weakness...I think that is one of Zelda's problems...too huge of a weakness just makes them far too easy, especially when the weakness is exposed after some routine attack and wait cycle, and when the weakness does TONS of damage.

Personally, I think No More Heroes boss system is quite a bit better...there were weak spots, but you didn't have much time to take advantage of them, and they were hard to catch....that's the way a good boss fight should play out.
Back to top Go down
https://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
SmashedBrother
Administrator
SmashedBrother

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 11:56 am

And now, what you've all been waiting for!

My two cents (yeah, right. Heh.) -

Personally, I've always thought that Metroid Prime has some of the best examples of challenging bosses. Most of them have a weakness (although there's occasionaly a "shoot out" boss, but they're few and far between) and to get at their weakness you have to come out and risk their attacks. Ridley from the first MP is a good example. He bombes you for a while, while going to fast to be hit, and then for a short time he attacks you from close enough to hit him. Then there's the Parasite, that ice monster in Phendrana Drifts....MP had a lot of good bosses.

Although, while I like bosses to be challenging, there plenty of bosses I love just because of the story, like Ganon from Ocarina and Galcian from Skies of Arcadia.

The ideal boss for me would be a major villian in the story, cinematic, and challenging enough to be difficult, but I'm still able to beat him the first time and enjoy the story. LATER, I can go back on a hard mode and face a nearly invincible version of him Very Happy (when I'm not so impatient for the story to go on, so that it won't be as frustrating)

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
They should have a good weakness, but not too huge of a weakness...I think that is one of Zelda's problems...too huge of a weakness just makes them far too easy, especially when the weakness is exposed after some routine attack and wait cycle, and when the weakness does TONS of damage.

Agreed. The problem with WindWaker's and Twilight Princess's bosses is that they just become totally vulnerable, and when (and if.) they attack, it's pathetically easy to avoid, and it's so weak it's not really worth avoiding.
Back to top Go down
BrightScales
Pug & Yoshi Fan!
BrightScales

Number of posts : 1775

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 10:41 am

A boss needs to be hard... and have also a easy weakness... anyway what im saying is there needs to be a balance between the two.
Back to top Go down
SmashedBrother
Administrator
SmashedBrother

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 9:09 pm

Sooooo.......Now that we've mentioned what makes a good boss, what are some of your favorites?
Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
StarRoadWarrior

Number of posts : 3628

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:52 pm

well i have a few

1 Culex (mario RPG)
2 dark beast ganon (TP)
3 smithy (duu Razz )
4 Solaris (sonic 06)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
SmashedBrother
Administrator
SmashedBrother

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:38 am

Oops! just realized that we already have a topic for Best/Hardest Bosses

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What makes a good boss?   What makes a good boss? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What makes a good boss?
Page 1 of 1