For the Win! Gamer's Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 419 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:26 am
Latest topics
» Thank You!
Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 1:52 am by SmashedBrother

» So, what've you all been up to?
Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18064 messages in 767 subjects

Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

Number of posts : 2293

Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Empty
PostSubject: Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?   Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 5:16 pm

**Off topic, moved to its own thread**

As a side note: isn't it great when they release follow up games to big hits on systems that had nothing to do with the big hit? Example: this is clearly a follow up to RE5, but it's on a Nintendo system, and will likely be played primarily by Nintendo gamers. Will 360 and PS3 owners play it? Of course, but it's still on a completely different system, and not on the same system as the game that it is actually following up. Same thing goes for Dead Space: Extraction and several Kingdom Hearts games. I understand it may be a good way to move handhelds or spread the franchise to more gamers, but if you're not going put all of your weight behind a series on a particular system or Big 3 developer, it just seems like the series fans are being scammed out of bits and pieces of franchises they enjoy. Okay, my little rant is over.
Back to top Go down
https://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
StarRoadWarrior

Number of posts : 3628

PostSubject: Re: Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?   Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 6:05 pm

like i said before in the RE topic that that game might do what GTA did to chinatown wars. that game started off on the DS and was named as DS's game of the year. now chinatown wars does not follow the path of any GTA story. that game was then ported over to the PSP (DS version got better reviews and score) i feel the same will happen to the RE 3DS game so sony fans might get it but microsoft might not but then again i dont think that it will follow RE5 like you said why? because jill was in her older uniform and hair color was still the same and not the blonde in RE5
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?   Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 3:42 am

I agree...now RE Mercenaries and Revelations will be on the 3DS...totally screwing those who played RE5 on the 360/PS3, which in turn screwed Nintendo GC/Wii owners who played 4 on those systems, which in turn screwed those who played all the other RE games on the Playstation systems...phew, that's WAY too much switching for one series. Another sad example is Okamiden, which I would love to play but is on a COMPLETELY different system and company than the original Okami...why must marketing schemes and developer business transactions get in the way of our enjoyment of series...why?!?!
Back to top Go down
Everlong

Everlong

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?   Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Short/business-related answer: Because video game companies, especially 3rd party ones, like to make money and are not compelled, really, unless by contract, to produce a series for a specific platform.

Longer/probably less realistic answer: Mostly because it gives every type of a gamer a chance to try the series. Video game companies are often banking on the fact that series vets will get their product regardless of what it comes out on. Is this condescending? Well, yeah, sure it is. But it's also generally true.

When video game developers make a new entry in a franchise, the goal is often to spread entries around so as many people can become fans. After all, for example, I never would have even played an RE game had it not been for RE4 on the GameCube. Not because I was prejudiced against the PS1 (well, really, if you wanted to get technical, the Sega Saturn), but because I was just never that big a Sony gamer in my youth (plus, it was M-rated anyway, and I was just a kid back then). I was a Nintendo guy. So Capcom branched out a little and I found out about it and liked the game. Now, I'm interested in playing the originals and even beat RE5.
Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
StarRoadWarrior

Number of posts : 3628

PostSubject: Re: Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?   Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 1:41 am

I believe that Everlong hit the nail on the head there

i do have to question Big N's motives for putting luigi's mansion 2 on the 3DS dont get me wrong i love the idea of playing the game on the go much like im enjoying playing Oot and Re mercenaries on the go but i would of loved to of seen it on the revolution or project cafe

speaking of okamiden i did play it and imo its really not as good as the first not even close but that is just me
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?   Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 2:40 pm

You bring up a good point in that developers are not obligated to develop on one particular system Everlong. I can also see raking in new fans..but by the same token, they are blowing off devoted fans of franchises who don't own that particular system. For example, I loved Okami but as I'm not a handheld gamer, there's simply no way I'll play Okamiden on DS. Same goes for Kingdom Hearts (which jumped between not only systems, but game companies) and RE which has been all over the map. If you played RE5 on the 360, you'll need to buy a Wii/GC/PS2 just to play 4, and if you want to play zero and REmake, you'll definitely need the Wii/GC, whereas if you want the RE1,2,3,CVX you'll need a PS2/PS2-compatible PS3. I mean the whole thing is such a pain for devoted fans such as myself, and it brings up the question: is it better to bring in new fans whose only option is the ONE game available on that particular system? Or provide convenience to loyal fans? Personally, I'd go with the latter.
Back to top Go down
Everlong

Everlong

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?   Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Forsaken Pride 44 wrote:
I mean the whole thing is such a pain for devoted fans such as myself, and it brings up the question: is it better to bring in new fans whose only option is the ONE game available on that particular system? Or provide convenience to loyal fans? Personally, I'd go with the latter.

Don't get me wrong: on a personal level, I agree with you to an extent (though, to be honest, I generally don't like interacting with fandoms; I often find members of any given one insufferable), however, from a business standpoint, I can honestly see why developers, at the end of the day, don't particularly...care about longtime fans. But hear me out because I know that sounds pretty harsh.

When marketing one's product, like I said, many fans will buy it regardless. For better or worse, the company has managed to pull them in and have essentially guaranteed sales. Even if, say, a good portion of the fan base is adamantly opposed to an entry in the series, there will always be a group of die hards that do buy the product. All well and good, but that's not what their focus is. Game companies are constantly looking for ways to reach out to new people (we'll call them group B) to make them more like the former (group A). This adds onto the group of potential die hards that will buy whatever they put out next time with not much complaint. It's a way to make money and companies, well, rather obviously, all want to do this.

At the end of the way, no matter what PR says about how much it values its loyal customers (but this goes for anything in general), they know they can't please their established fan base all the time. So they don't really try, except for a few token efforts every few years to keep them interested. A fandom alone can't always keep a franchise afloat. You might argue that a plague of the industry is the word 'franchise' and all that entails (the worst excesses being, say, Rock Band and more recently, Call of Duty; Activision-Blizzard is a rather big offender), but we're sort of stuck with this system, as we are with everything else everywhere in the world.

With that in mind, like I said, I agree with you - I wish, for convenience's sake, companies would stick with putting out their products for a single platform. But, though this is just personal, I remember back to when I wasn't necessarily a fan of something, it doesn't matter what. The actions of the company, however cold the decision was, to introduce game X to system Y allowed me to experience and enjoy what they put out. Because of that, I'm content, to an extent, with what occurs, even if I'm cynical of the process in general, because I know that someone else might be able to become a fan as well.
Back to top Go down
waaar81

waaar81

Number of posts : 2366

PostSubject: Re: Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?   Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 5:11 pm

NECRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
navi Cory you keep brining back old topics
Make new ones instead :p
Back to top Go down
http://watchbleachepisodesonline.50webs.com/bleach_episode_guide
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?   Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Series Offshoots on Random Systems...WTF?
Page 1 of 1