For the Win! Gamer's Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 419 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:26 am
Latest topics
» Thank You!
Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 1:52 am by SmashedBrother

» So, what've you all been up to?
Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18064 messages in 767 subjects

Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console

Go down 
+2
TrueDestroyer
Forsaken Lament 44
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

Number of posts : 2293

Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Empty
PostSubject: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 1:31 pm

Wii the Least Played Console
Figures show that best selling console is the least loved.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
UK, April 8, 2009 - Nintendo's Wii is the least played current generation console in the US, according to figures recently revealed by Nielsen.

Figures pulled from a survey of 17,000 homes revealed that the Wii was used an average of five days for the month of December 2008, leaving it trailing someway behind the PlayStation 3's 6.8 days and the Xbox 360's 7.1 days.

Both the original Xbox and PlayStation 2 also earned more use over the month, coming in at 5.6 and 5.5 days respectively.

Copyright IGN, 2009

Well isn't this a bit of a shock? Or is it? Perhaps this is a wake up call that Nintendo needs to change its tactics...being behind PS3 and the 360 is one thing...but behind the PS2 and the XBOX is humiliating.
Back to top Go down
https://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
TrueDestroyer

TrueDestroyer

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:01 pm

I offer a few arguments that this doesn't mean as much as people might think it does.

1. Think about what average means for a second. You have more systems out there that you're looking at.
  2. Think about the audience the Wii pulls in: kids. More families have bought a Wii because it's accessible at the price and very popular compared to video game systems of the past. And what are parents doing more and more of? Trying to keep kids away from the video games long enough to do their homework.
  3. Due to the low price, families in poor economic conditions can still buy a Wii for their kids and buy a couple games, but they might not be able to keep up a game a month or so. You're all gamers, if you have only a few games, you're going to play less than if you have a bunch of them. The ones you have, especially if you're a kid, get boring.
  4. Compare to the main audience that most PS3s and 360s have, male 20-30, most have either jobs or are in college. They don't have as much of a time restriction as the kids are going to have.

These are just a few quick thoughts. Seriously, if Nintendo is really doing bad, why are they selling so many systems? Figures like this don't mean a whole lot, and I definitely wouldn't call it "humiliating".
Back to top Go down
http://www.gamingaddicts.org
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 3:31 pm

You make some good points TD, perhaps I jumped to call the situation "humiliating"...however this entire situation seems to stem from Nintendo's casual focus. Fortunately 3rd parties are beginning to realize that the Wii can and should house hardcore titles, yet Nintendo still seems to be stuck in this mindset. Casual gaming is a fad. These mini-game fests and shallow titles can only be exciting for so long...the Wii will eventually lose its luster unless a change is made. Even Nintendo's President Satoru Iwata said quote "Wii (demand) is not vigorous at the moment in Japan. In fact, it is in the most unhealthy situation since its launch in Japan." -Reuters. This was in response to sales charts which revealed PS3 surpassing Wii sales in Japan.

It is most certainly true that younger audiences, older audiences, and poorer audiences tend to play less than what would be considered the "core demographic" of gamers who spend hours a day gaming. However, Nintendo needs to realize that it must appeal to this demographic...this fad can only remain profitable for so long.
Back to top Go down
TrueDestroyer

TrueDestroyer

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 pm

I'll agree with you on the front that Nintendo is not catering to the hardcore fan base they way they should. But I don't believe that casual gaming is a fad. It's quite possibly the future of the industry, as sad as that reality would be, and hardcore gamers are going to have to weed through the onslaughts of shitty titles to get to the good stuff, which is already becoming more and more scarce. It's just the most evident on the Wii right now because it's cheap to develop and publish games for it. Do I think that's going to change anytime in the future? Probably not, as those games are still going to come out as long as some company is willing to publish them. Nintendo doesn't have much to do with those third party games that are all trash. They just aren't really doing much to balance it out with solid titles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gamingaddicts.org

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 9:34 pm

I suppose in terms of Nintendo's current situation, one can only hope for more first-party games on the Wii. The DS itself is doing pretty well in terms of offering a variety of different, yet entertaining titles for both the hardcore and the casual gamer. I still play my Wii at times but I'm sorry to say that I've yet to buy a new game for the console since Brawl. Most of my money is going toward the PS3, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by Blitzsword on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 11:02 am

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
Even Nintendo's President Satoru Iwata said quote "Wii (demand) is not vigorous at the moment in Japan. In fact, it is in the most unhealthy situation since its launch in Japan." -Reuters. This was in response to sales charts which revealed PS3 surpassing Wii sales in Japan.

But he makes no mention of North America, yeah? The Japanese sales may be suffering at the moment, but that will certainly change when Monster Hunter 3 releases in the country later this year.

Quoted from IGN
Quote :
I've attended the Tokyo Game Show eight years in a row, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like the furor surrounding Monster Hunter 3. Ten minutes after the show opened up on its second business day, Capcom had to close off the game's line because it had somehow managed to reach the four hour mark! In ten minutes!

The following year they have Dragon Quest X, which is another huge title in Japan, so I expect Wii sales to sky-rocket when both of those titles release.
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Seeing the new line up of Nintendo's upcoming games is definitely encouraging. They seem to be getting great titles in all different realms, including-
-Survival Horror(Cursed Mountain, Silent Hill, Dead Space, and Resident Evil)
-RPGs(FF Crystal Chronicles, Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales of Graces, Little King's Story)
-Adventure(Murumasa, Monster Hunter, Assassin's Creed 2, NMH2)
-Shooters(Conduit, Dead Space, RE Darkside)

So far this is looking pretty good, and apparently Nintendo will be unveiling a "Key" new game at E3, so it looks like the Wii's best days are still yet to come...
Back to top Go down
firegremlin

firegremlin

Number of posts : 2244

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 3:23 pm

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
Seeing the new line up of Nintendo's upcoming games is definitely encouraging. They seem to be getting great titles in all different realms, including-
-Survival Horror(Cursed Mountain, Silent Hill, Dead Space, and Resident Evil)
-RPGs(FF Crystal Chronicles, Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales of Graces, Little King's Story)
-Adventure(Murumasa, Monster Hunter, Assassin's Creed 2, NMH2)
-Shooters(Conduit, Dead Space, RE Darkside)

So far this is looking pretty good, and apparently Nintendo will be unveiling a "Key" new game at E3, so it looks like the Wii's best days are still yet to come...
wait a second, Assassin's Creed is coming to the wii?
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Assassin's Creed 2 was just announced for Wii today..and apparently, it's not a PSP or PS2 port.
Back to top Go down
waaar81

waaar81

Number of posts : 2366

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Nice I wonder how the gameplay would be and when its gonna come out.
But I have one question........why did you post it here and not make a thread about it ?
Back to top Go down
http://watchbleachepisodesonline.50webs.com/bleach_episode_guide
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Hmmm although I think the Wii is making a come-back, this article re-enforces the original article this thread was made after...and the news of Madworld's sub par sales doesn't help either-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As for Assassin's Creed, I just posted it in the list...i don't know much about it, so I didn't make a thread. You are more than welcome to if you like though... Wink
Back to top Go down
firegremlin

firegremlin

Number of posts : 2244

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:52 pm

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
As for Assassin's Creed, I just posted it in the list...i don't know much about it, so I didn't make a thread. You are more than welcome to if you like though... Wink
yeah, can someone please post a link to an article ab out this becasue I can't find it on IGN or Screwattack
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 8:12 pm

you're welcome to go to IGN , find the article, and make a news thread if you like.

Back on Topic Please
Back to top Go down
BrightScales
Pug & Yoshi Fan!
BrightScales

Number of posts : 1775

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 1:11 pm

there seems to be fewer and fewer on wifi so this makes sense
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 1:32 am

Hopefully games like the Conduit will change this situation. What the wii lacks is replay value. Without online play that's fun and rewarding, there's not much to go back to many wii games for...the lack of a gamerscore doesn't help either.
Back to top Go down
BrightScales
Pug & Yoshi Fan!
BrightScales

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 1:20 am

^referring to post above ^
it be nice to have in accomplishments like xbox
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 11:46 am

Conduit offers its own accomplishments, which might be viewable to others online in that game, but yeah, Wii needs a gamer profile system. Done deal. It seems like a simple addition, but it really boosts replayability, especially when you have die-hard trophy fiends like Star Road Warrior. geek
Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
StarRoadWarrior

Number of posts : 3628

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 7:22 pm

ForsakenLament 04 wrote:
Conduit offers its own accomplishments, which might be viewable to others online in that game, but yeah, Wii needs a gamer profile system. Done deal. It seems like a simple addition, but it really boosts replayability, especially when you have die-hard trophy fiends like Star Road Warrior. geek

i have no idea who your talking about..... ok achievements are GREAT Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
BrightScales
Pug & Yoshi Fan!
BrightScales

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 10:43 pm

Star Road Warrior wrote:
ForsakenLament 04 wrote:

i have no idea who your talking about..... ok achievements are GREAT Very Happy
first off lol!
secondly it would be an awesome addition but xbox my have copy rights
Back to top Go down
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
StarRoadWarrior

Number of posts : 3628

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 10:51 pm

well it would not have to be the same thing i mean PS3 has achievements also but there called trophies nintendo should call there list coins

"unlocked toon link + 50 coins!"
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console   Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Survey: Nintendo the Least Played Console
Page 1 of 1