For the Win! Gamer's Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
    Username:
    Password:
    :: I forgot my password
    Who is online?
    In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 419 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:26 am
    Latest topics
    » Thank You!
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 1:52 am by SmashedBrother

» So, what've you all been up to?
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
    Statistics
    We have 116 registered users
    The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18064 messages in 767 subjects

So...anyone care about Kinect?

Go down 
    +2
    SmashedBrother
    Forsaken Lament 44
    6 posters

Are you interested in the Kinect?
    Yes
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Vote_lcap36%So...anyone care about Kinect? Vote_rcap
     36% [ 9 ]
    No
    So...anyone care about Kinect? Vote_lcap64%So...anyone care about Kinect? Vote_rcap
     64% [ 16 ]
    Total Votes : 25

Back

AuthorMessage
    Forsaken Lament 44
    Administrator
    Forsaken Lament 44

Number of posts : 2293

So...anyone care about Kinect? Empty
    PostSubject: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 am

So I've noticed that about 2 weeks after E3 has ended, almost no one has said much about the Kinect. Does anyone care about it? Does anyone want it? Or does everyone have a deep disdain for Microsoft's sudden drive towards the casual market and their wii-commercial rip offs?

Last edited by ForsakenLament 04 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    https://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
    SmashedBrother
    Administrator
    SmashedBrother

Number of posts : 2107

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 2:46 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but the truth is that I just don't really care that much.about motion control period - be it Move, Kinect, the Wii remote or (worst of all) the DS stylus. It was a neat idea at first, but it's really only useful for mini-games based off of motion control. For a brief time I liked the look of Natal and Move, but after thinking it over.....I don't see any real potential for either of them.

Just to the side - I'm no expert, but I don't believe that either the Kinect or the Move are going to be as succesful as the Wii. There isn't enough difference in either of them to grab the casuals.......especially since many of them already have a Wii.
    Back to top Go down
    firegremlin

firegremlin

Number of posts : 2244

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Kinect isn't really gonna work and it's just going to be abused. Observe; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Back to top Go down
    Blitzsword
    Administrator
    Blitzsword

Number of posts : 198

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 pm

I think the idea of a motionless peripheral is great. If given the right software, this thing can become a success. Unfortunately, I foresee shovelware for this thing. Still, a lot of spin-off technology is possible now that Kinect has been unveiled. If anything, I'm mor impressed at how this stuff is becoming available through everyday consumer markets. The technology is astounding.

edit: I meant to say "controller-less" peripheral.

Last edited by Blitzsword on Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    TreISGood

TreISGood

Number of posts : 65

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Blitzsword wrote:
    I think the idea of a motionless peripheral is great. If given the right software, this thing can become a success. Unfortunately, I foresee shovelware for this thing. Still, a lot of spin-off technology is possible now that Kinect has been unveiled. If anything, I'm mor impressed at how this stuff is becoming available through everyday consumer markets. The technology is astounding.

My cell phone also happens to be a motionless peropheral Razz

OT: I agree. As technology becomes more advanced and the companies become ritcher, the public ultimately benefits. Gotta love corporate.
    Back to top Go down
    Everlong

Everlong

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 1:43 pm

I think it honestly really depends on how Microsoft and Sony spin their new products to the public. As was said, the biggest hurdle for both is that since Nintendo pretty much cornered the market at first with the Wii, the Kinect and Move are going to have a potentially hard time breaking into the scene. Their success is pretty much a sword edge: on one hand, if done right, they could overthrow the rule of Nintendo in this area; if not, the peripherals ultimately fall into obscurity and business remains as usual, though Nintendo perhaps trying something similar down the road (more like the Move than the Kinect, I'd think; the Move seems like a logical progression of the Wiimote).

If they succeed, then Nintendo should be very worried. If not, eh, no big loss. As for personal interest...well, I think I would definitely pick up the Move at some point; it looks fun and very Wii-ish to me. The Kinect, however, still has to sell me on itself. I'll probably try to play it at a friend's house before I buy it.
    Back to top Go down
    Forsaken Lament 44
    Administrator
    Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 11:53 am

Personally I can see the Kinect being useful for casual games primarily; unlike the Move (and the wii-mote, for that matter), I can't imagine using that sort of setup to play what would be considered a typical hard-core game like an RPG or a shooter. Perhaps fighting games, but that (in my mind) seems to be the extent of it. As far as casual titles go, it seems golden. The dance game I've seen (can't recall the name at the moment) actually looks fun and interesting. And given that Microsoft's target is now the casuals, it seems like a reasonable scheme. Whether or not it will actually work is another matter entirely.
    Back to top Go down
    firegremlin

firegremlin

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 12:54 pm

I can't remember what I voted before, but after getting Kinect and having lots of time to use it I ca safely say that it sucks! Seriously, it's just a hyped eyetoy and you need so much space that I needed to rearrange my furniture just to get it to work.
    Also, there's no good games for it. That new star wars one would be amazing if it didn't look so easy and if wasn't on-rails.

I said it before here (I think somewhere in the Wii area) and I'll say it again: motion control is not the future of gaming. It's so much more satisfying to lie down with a wireless controller and relax into a game, or sit on the edge of your seat in suspense.
    Back to top Go down
    Forsaken Lament 44
    Administrator
    Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Wow, you're the first person I've spoken with who has actually played it...(I've never had any desire to try it)...and you say it's that bad. Honestly, I was never interested in it, nor the Sony Move. But to Microsoft's credit, they're not shoving motion control down gamer's throats like Nintendo has. Some games work well with motion control, others don't. It just so happens that (in my opinion) more games fit into the latter choice. And I'll be honest: A Star Wars Game on rails??? That's just sad....
    Back to top Go down
    firegremlin

firegremlin

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 1:34 pm

To be honest, I only got it because my dad wanted to play it, but it hasn't been touched after we used it the day it came. In reference to games, maybe Ghost Recon will work better with Kinect but, call me pessimistic, it likely won't. And if it's on rails as well, then that's an instant dealkiller.
    Back to top Go down
    TreISGood

TreISGood

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 2:53 pm

In a word? No. Kinect is just another worthless gimmick, really. It sickens me to see Devs adding kinect support onto their games instead of using that time to make the game more awesome. Lionhead is even worse, as they're skipping making Fable 4 and making an entire Kinect game instead.
    Back to top Go down
    Blitzsword
    Administrator
    Blitzsword

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Gotta admit though, as far as motion controls are concerned, Kinect is certainly the better of the three. All it lacks are games for it but the technology is definitely amazing. This is coming from a PS3 and Wii owner exclusively. I've tried the Kinect at my friends house and have had enough time with it to make an opinion about it. Admittedly, I don't care for motion controls but I'm not against them either. I believe that if done right, it can add a whole new level of experience to our gaming. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet as far as I'm concerned.
    Back to top Go down
    firegremlin

firegremlin

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 3:33 pm

TreISGood wrote:
    In a word? No. Kinect is just another worthless gimmick, really. It sickens me to see Devs adding kinect support onto their games instead of using that time to make the game more awesome. Lionhead is even worse, as they're skipping making Fable 4 and making an entire Kinect game instead.
    I agree, though I don't even consider the Fable Kinect game as Fable canon. I'm worried about Mass Effect 3 as well what with the Kinect voice commands they're implementing into it. At least it's optionable.
    Back to top Go down
    Forsaken Lament 44
    Administrator
    Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Blitzsword wrote:
    Gotta admit though, as far as motion controls are concerned, Kinect is certainly the better of the three. All it lacks are games for it but the technology is definitely amazing. This is coming from a PS3 and Wii owner exclusively. I've tried the Kinect at my friends house and have had enough time with it to make an opinion about it. Admittedly, I don't care for motion controls but I'm not against them either. I believe that if done right, it can add a whole new level of experience to our gaming. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet as far as I'm concerned.

You really think Kinect is better? Wow, I'm actually surprised...I expected the Move to be the best, to be honest. Of course, I haven't tried either (and am not dying to) so I can't judge.
    Back to top Go down
    Blitzsword
    Administrator
    Blitzsword

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 3:44 pm

In terms of innovation, I think Kinect is better than the Move. The Move is just like the Wii Mote, only a little more accurate. Kinect is just different from the others and it stands out a little more. It's a very versatile piece of equipment and I have to give props to Microsoft on this one.

*Love how Gremlin is ignoring me on these threads btw. Think I'll ban him for that.
    Back to top Go down
    firegremlin

firegremlin

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Blitzsword wrote:
    In terms of innovation, I think Kinect is better than the Move. The Move is just like the Wii Mote, only a little more accurate. Kinect is just different from the others and it stands out a little more. It's a very versatile piece of equipment and I have to give props to Microsoft on this one.

*Love how Gremlin is ignoring me on these threads btw. Think I'll ban him for that.

I see you and am acknowledging your argument. Kinect is better and more innovative than Move which is essentially a clone of the Wii. But that doesn't make Kinect good. It's still poorly executed and has disappointing games.

And banning me would only result in a massive uproar from all the other members clamouring for me to be unbanned Wink
    Back to top Go down
    Blitzsword
    Administrator
    Blitzsword

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:28 pm

I was joking man. I'm not going to ban you for that Smile I'd be a tyrant otherwise. But you did have me worried for a bit. Thought I did something in the past to make you mad.

About the Kinect, I agree the software isn't all there at the moment. In fact, that's pretty much the Move and Wii currently. Which is a shame when you think about it seeing as the Kinect has the potential to be good. I am curious though; If there were games worth playing for any of these three, would that change your perspective of motion gaming as a whole? I'm asking anyone who reads this as well.
    Back to top Go down
    firegremlin

firegremlin

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Blitzsword wrote:
    I was joking man. I'm not going to ban you for that Smile I'd be a tyrant otherwise. But you did have me worried for a bit. Thought I did something in the past to make you mad.
    haha I know, I was just joking about that. You did nothing either.

Blitzsword wrote:
    About the Kinect, I agree the software isn't all there at the moment. In fact, that's pretty much the Move and Wii currently. Which is a shame when you think about it seeing as the Kinect has the potential to be good. I am curious though; If there were games worth playing for any of these three, would that change your perspective of motion gaming as a whole? I'm asking anyone who reads this as well.
    That's true but the Wii did so well because it was the start of the motion control craze.
    As for the second part of your paragraph, I think that with quality games motion control would be more popular but still wouldn't take over the accepted norm of controller which has been driven into the hearts of gamers for decades.
    Back to top Go down
    TreISGood

TreISGood

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 7:30 pm

firegremlin wrote:
    TreISGood wrote:
    I agree, though I don't even consider the Fable Kinect game as Fable canon. I'm worried about Mass Effect 3 as well what with the Kinect voice commands they're implementing into it. At least it's optionable.

The kinect demo featured Theresa, the all in all main protagonist of the series (If you think about it), so I fear it really is canon...
    Back to top Go down
    SmashedBrother
    Administrator
    SmashedBrother

Number of posts : 2107

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 1:36 am

@Luis - Pllllleeeaaaaasssse ban him. [/desperate begging]

Actually, my problem with Kinect, and motion control in general, is that so many games that use it are basically little more than tech demos.....which gets old quickly, particularly to those of us who were "meh" about it in the first place.

I don't mean that it can't be implemented well, but unfortunately, that's the exception. The norm is a game built around the technology, when it should be the other way around.
    Back to top Go down
    firegremlin

firegremlin

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 5:54 am

TreISGood wrote:
    firegremlin wrote:
    TreISGood wrote:

The kinect demo featured Theresa, the all in all main protagonist of the series (If you think about it), so I fear it really is canon...

Read this article [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Back to top Go down
    TreISGood

TreISGood

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 12:06 pm

firegremlin wrote:
    TreISGood wrote:
    firegremlin wrote:
    TreISGood wrote:

Read this article [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You didn't do your hyperlink right, but I already know what you're talking about. It doesn't really matter, though, as practically every single thing Peter Molyneux has said is a lie. Technically speaking, Fable had to see a certain amount of copies or else it would be the last one, yet now Fable 4 is slated for 2012 and this one is coming out... whenever.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So...anyone care about Kinect?   So...anyone care about Kinect? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So...anyone care about Kinect?
    Page 1 of 1