For the Win! Gamer's Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 419 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:26 am
Latest topics
» Thank You!
So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 1:52 am by SmashedBrother

» So, what've you all been up to?
So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18064 messages in 767 subjects

So...what have you been up to for the past year?

Go down 
+4
frozentreasure
Everlong
SmashedBrother
Forsaken Lament 44
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

Number of posts : 2293

So...what have you been up to for the past year? Empty
PostSubject: So...what have you been up to for the past year?   So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Well, it's been about a year since any of us have done any serious talking so of course it leads to the question...what the heck have you been doing all this time?? Was the end of 2010, beginning of 2011 pretty good, or did it suck?

Personally I've been pretty busy...not only did I finally graduate from Roosevelt University with a Bachelor's in History, but I also took a trip to New York to see NYC, which has always been a big dream of mine(Empire State Building ftw!). Even more exciting is I moved into a very nice apartment in the beautiful Chicago suburb of Evanston just minutes from downtown...you could say I've started a completely new life since the last time we all met, and seems to be going very well so far! I'll also mention that Nicole and I are still very happy together, and for some reason we've both been on a Resident Evil binge as of late.I've been playing through all the games and she's been watching, as she often likes to do. I happen to love the story, Nicole just thinks Wesker is sexy Rolling Eyes .

So all in all it's been a pretty good stretch, if you ask me. I hope everyone else's year has treated them well so far. Cool
Back to top Go down
https://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
SmashedBrother
Administrator
SmashedBrother

Number of posts : 2107

PostSubject: Re: So...what have you been up to for the past year?   So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 12:13 am

I'm glad to hear things are going well for you, at least. I had been kind of worried when you vanished.

My story is....an improvement over last year. While 2010 had some very bright moments, I'd say it was hands down the worst year of my life, even in 20/20 hindsight. It was a bad ending that was 2-3 years in the making. Thanks to a difficult condition I've been dealing with, (nobody's fault. Just bad luck of the draw) I got seriously behind in my homework, and my life was generally falling apart slowly.

Since the end of the year though, things have finally gotten easier, and there's actually some hope of making college sometime relatively soon......I've never been behind for any length of time before, and now I'm more than a grade behind......It really sucks......

On a brighter side, mid-September last year, my family took a double cross country vacation -west to Yellowstone Park and then north to Mt. Rushmore, along with several other sites along the way, like Garden of the Gods, the badlands, the Rockies, the Shrine of Mother Cabrini, and the Grand Tetons. Very Happy

I really got to like Colarado. Between M.Cabrini's shrine, the Garden of the Gods, and just the general landscape, I really enjoyed my time there.......although I was shocked to discover that nobody north of Oklahoma ever seems to have invented the bagel! Shocked I think that was also the first state we bumped into a Perkin's restaurant, which more than made up for the lack of bagels Wink .

We didn't see as much of the Rockies as I had hoped. Mom and said the heck with it when we were on a narrow road without railing (but a very impressive drop) and had to manuver around some RVs on their way down. Can't say I blame them. The Tetons and Yellowstone more than made up for the disappoinment. We went through the Badlands (there was a Perkins's on the other side drunken ) and on to home from there. (when it rains in Missouri, it feels like being directly under Niagra Falls. affraid

Anyway, vacation aside, I also started in Taekwondo the very end of last year and have really enjoyed it.

A few months back, I started seriously working on a video game idea I've played around with for a while. It's scary how little I have considering how long I've worked on it, but it's moving along, albeit slowly as heck.

I recently have been trying to learn Java as an introduction to programming in general. I'm currently stuck on something having to do with not having a main method, even though I'm sure I do. scratch

Still play the piano from time to time, but I haven't really been putting as much into it as I should, and it's starting to tell. Neutral

I beat both Metroid Prime 1 & 2 on hard (Hypermode for those who have Trilogy) without any energy tanks whatsoever. I also beat every quest and mini-game in Majora's Mask within 3 days (excepting only the old lady's stories and the bomb shop lady's quest as they messed up other quests.) Note that this was after I collected all the masks at leisure.
Wow.....that's actually a whole lot more than I meant to type. Thanks to anyone who read all the way through! lol!
Back to top Go down
Everlong

Everlong

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: So...what have you been up to for the past year?   So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Well, not too much, actually. My life has honestly been pretty boring.

I worked up the courage to ask a girl out, technically back in 2009, but would never have known to do so without someone else's prompting. Yeah, I'm the stereotypical 'dense' guy in this regard. I'm glad that person told me, though. I love her very much.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been much resistance on her family or mine to our relationship (she's black, I'm white). Come August 17th, we'll have been going out for two years together. That might not seem like a big deal to some, but she's actually my first ever girlfriend...

I've been lucky enough to have a job, but I've got no hours right now. I'm talking to my boss tomorrow about what the heck is going on, considering he said he'd try to work me in. It's getting annoying.

School's proceeded fine. Community college isn't very exciting, but it is cheap. I've managed to get on the Dean's List twice in my first year. I think that's a pretty good start for freshman year!

I also managed to wreck my first car last October. Yeah, not too proud of that.

On the gaming front, I've become quite the retro collector. Slowly building up a pretty good one, too, if I do say so myself. Problem is now, though, finding the time to play all those games.

A friend of mine has also had our mutual RP die (the site hosting us went down). Our progress had long since ground to a halt, though. It's been a painful year trying to get back up on our feet and to rebuild. But we're getting close. As early as next Friday, we might finally open our doors again.

Last edited by Everlong on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just realized it would be 'year' rather than 'semester'; should learn to proofread my posts...)
Back to top Go down
frozentreasure

frozentreasure

Number of posts : 294

PostSubject: Re: So...what have you been up to for the past year?   So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 4:44 am

Well, let's have a think now… (and while I could easily check my sparsely updated blog for some reminders, I choose not to)

In early 2010, I created my own website, which I promptly let die by the wayside, save for a blog I occasionally update. It's really more useful to me as a hosting space, mainly because I am not a web architect.

2010 is also the year I started my Advanced Diploma in games programming, of which I'm almost in the final semester. And I can sum up the 18 months of that course to this day thusly: BlllllleeeeerrrrrrgggghghhhhhgghghghhghaaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHGHGHGHGHGHHGH!

I'm enjoying myself, needless to say.

Not a whole lot happened in 2010 that wasn't to do with my classwork, though. I guess I was so unused to a school environment that I needed to focus a large amount of my energy towards it. So my writing dropped to something I only occasionally spent time on, my gaming dropped somewhat (although more due to the fact that I can never get enough work) and I consistently cycled through a loop of emotion, ranging from only a little depressed to a couple of points wherein I found myself unable to get up for the day.

Oh; I did get my driver's license last year. And I had also gotten a (used) car for Christmas of '09, so…now I'm even more screwed for money, really. But it's nice to have one of the oft-noted signs of freedom.

Only seriously, seriously bad moment of 2010 was sometime in November. You know how they say bad things come in threes?

1) My car was broken into. My laptop bag — with the laptop thankfully not in it and with me at the time — got taken. I found it the next day not one hundred yards away from where it got taken. Most of the items in it were still there, excluding one bag full of about $10 loose change, two small screwdrivers, and…*sigh* my DSi case, containing my DSi and many games. One of those games was Chrono Trigger, as well. A game that took me over two months of looking and running around town trying to find a copy of.

2) On the way home from class one day, I get to a roundabout I have dealt with many times with no trouble at all. It's peak hour, though, so everyone's moving veeeery slowly. As I get to the bottom of the hill I had spent the last ten minutes crawling down, there's only one car in front of me before I can go ahead. Her car moves forward to go; this I am certain of, she was moving forward, and there were no cars that she needed to wait for. So I take my foot off the brake and let myself roll forward, looking to my right for oncoming traffic.

Take a guess what happened.

3) After I crash into her and we swap info, I'm kinda shaken and going to my dad's, simply because I can't think of anywhere else I need to go. Upon inspecting the damage, he notes that my passenger side lock is looking a little funny. I can only assume it was while I was at work one night, so they wouldn't get caught, but some lowlifes decided to try and get into my car. I guess they would've failed or almost gotten caught, because nothing was missing from it, but… yeah.

And so that was in about the space of a single week.

Apart from that, not much really happened to me in 2010 that I recall. Although I think 2010 might have been the year that I was subject to a month or two of flames from FanFiction.Net users that were considerably upset with me critiquing stories the same way I always have since 2008. One of them even wrote a lovely story in which I appear in the author's bedroom, get my head chopped off with a guitar (not sure how that's supposed to work) and then kicked into the street where it hits a "random cement paver".

The past six months, though, have been a little more interesting.

At the beginning of 2011, I started a daily podcasting…experiment, wherein I'd ramble for about five minutes each day about a movie I'd watched that evening. It went okay, but when class started back up again, things piled up quickly and I had to cancel the project.

Oddly enough — and I seriously didn't plan it that way — I ended it at such a date that I had exactly 42 episodes.

After that, I started another project through YouTube; Let's Enjoy. Essentially the same as a Let's Play, but more realistically named. Currently playing through a bunch of Zelda games, but I've got some N64 games in the pipeline that'll go up…eventually.

And my brother gave me a PS2 for my birthday, so now with the ability to buy all those games for $20 and less, I can finally play the majority of the 6th generation of games. (Jak and Daxter to start with)

Speaking of my birthday, I'm 18 now. Finally. Insanely happy about that. I got the Master Sword.

And so all my audio and video content throughout the year finally encompassed somebody else, and Jody teamed up with me on Skype to deliver not just one, but two terrible, terrible podcasts. We're still working on it. But it's fun to sit and ramble for an hour or three about games and various other tangentially related topics.

Aaaaannnnnnd…that is just about it, if I'm remembering correctly.
Back to top Go down
http://frozentreasure.com
StarRoadWarrior
Administrator
StarRoadWarrior

Number of posts : 3628

PostSubject: Re: So...what have you been up to for the past year?   So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 2:21 am

Since this time last year i have moved into an apartment of my own in Starkville Mississippi (2 hours away from where i did live) im now enrolled in MSU working on a BS in poultry science to be a supervisor or a USDA inspector at a large Poultry company. i completed 1 full year and i have one year left. Currently im an intern at said poultry company and i work graveyard shift (4-1). so yeah that was my past year in a very short version.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=819220343&amp
koopa_under_fire

koopa_under_fire

Number of posts : 352

PostSubject: Re: So...what have you been up to for the past year?   So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 11:41 pm

I graduated high school, went to college for a semester, decided it sucked and stopped, and now I work...
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

Number of posts : 2293

PostSubject: Re: So...what have you been up to for the past year?   So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 1:05 am

Nice to see you again Koopa...you shouldn't give up on college man, as much of a pain as it is, it's worth it...especially as its more of a pain working at crappy jobs for bosses who are probably dumber than you are for years on end...trust me...go back.

It seems I'm not the only one who totaled their car this year. I didn't even mention, I completely trashed the front of my beloved Hyundai Sonata...man, what a shame that was...I really loved that car! Damn Toyota 4Runner stopping in front of me...<_<
Back to top Go down
https://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
SilensCaelum

Number of posts : 616

PostSubject: Re: So...what have you been up to for the past year?   So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 3:43 pm

After about a year of not being involved in this wonderful online community quite a few things have changed with me. Last summer I started working construction with my friend's Dad's construction company. It was basically like a 'rehab' sort of job. His company would buy foreclosed homes and 'flip' them so to speak. I wasn't really asked to do any serious manual labor considering I'm super tiny and working construction is not a god given skill of mine, so I was left to paint and work light demo. Basically, I was paid $15 an hour to unscrew shelves, light plates, and pull carpet. I would wake up early and leave work around 2. That was basically my summer. How fun.

Beyond that, I met someone from this site, believe it or not. I am not sure if any of you remember gimic3000? But he has since moved out to Chicago, and we've hung out a couple of times. He's really cool and I've had a lot of fun with him haha.

Fall '10 I spent most of my time at school, most notably in a drawing classroom staring at nude oldies all day (figure drawing class). I must say, I found that to be quite enjoyable Wink. I applied to art school and was awarded a 40,000 dollar scholarship for fall '11. Though I don't think I'm going to take it.

In the winter I worked more construction and saved up a bunch of money. I also went to see one of my favorite musicians play live in Chicago. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Jonsi Birgisson... he's the vocalist for the awesome Icelandic band Sigur Ros? Anyways, I saw him live in November, and it was basically one of the best nights of my life. The concert was out of this world.

After that I've basically been living how I usually do. Adjusting to my brother moving out has been difficult, but It's just part of living. I enjoy going to visit, but I am afraid that playing video games at home by myself isn't that great... so I haven't been playing much.

Oh, I forgot! 3 months ago I was hired as a professional dog walker! The pay isn't great, but the job is wonderful. I get to take walks all day with super cute and sweet dogs!

I'm super glad all of you are doing well. Congratulations Everlong on asking a girl out! That must be so nerve wrecking! And Jody, I have to give you credit for what you are doing. I would never want to even go near a poultry factory. I'm happy you are still doing what you love. Roy, I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck! At least you have your drivers license now it took me forever to get mine!

Smashed brother!!!! I am so jealous right now!!! I've always wanted to travel to the places you went to. How was yellow stone park?
Back to top Go down
http://Last.fm.com/thestardweller
firegremlin

firegremlin

Number of posts : 2244

PostSubject: Re: So...what have you been up to for the past year?   So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 9:53 am

darn, just wrote a huge response to this and then my computer crashed and it all disappered. Too annoyed to rewrite it so I'll do it later when I'm not smashing up this freaking computer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So...what have you been up to for the past year?   So...what have you been up to for the past year? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So...what have you been up to for the past year?
Page 1 of 1