For the Win! Gamer's Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The number one forum community for videogames and online gaming!

HomeHome  FTW ChatroomFTW Chatroom  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 419 on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:26 am
Latest topics
» Thank You!
Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 1:52 am by SmashedBrother

» So, what've you all been up to?
Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 pm by frozentreasure

» Splatoon - The best shooter of the last decade?
Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 1:41 am by StarRoadWarrior

» Lets Play!
Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 am by frozentreasure

» So, anyone still here?
Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 4:16 am by SmashedBrother

» Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS!
Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Gaming to do list
Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 2:21 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» StarRoadWarrior's Blog?
Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2014 5:34 pm by StarRoadWarrior

» Just Completed (insert game name)
Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm by l33tsmasher

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Statistics
We have 116 registered users
The newest registered user is nellradxkv

Our users have posted a total of 18064 messages in 767 subjects

Why don't people like anime???

Go down 
+3
waaar81
Everlong
Forsaken Lament 44
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

Number of posts : 2293

Why don't people like anime??? Empty
PostSubject: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 12:53 pm

Ok, I had to make this topic for two huge reasons. First and foremost, anime has a pretty negative reputation in the U.S. Lets face it, if you want to maintain any sort of dignity, you don't run around your school or workplace telling everyone that you like Gundam Wing or Bleach. Secondly, hardly anyone posts on this anime thread!

So what is it about anime that gives it such a negative reputation? Is it the huge eyes? The corny and over the top monsters, magic, and giant robots? Is it the overly-busty women? There must be a good reason! Why don't people like anime??? 314169
Back to top Go down
https://ftwgamingnetwork.forumotion.com
Everlong

Everlong

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:07 pm

I think it honestly depends upon the situation. Some people may just not like the art style, which is fine. Others might not care for it because of its (and let's face it, this is a truism) sometimes rather degrading portrayal of women - harem anime nominally come sto mind with this, though I admit I have a guilty pleasure in the form of Tenchi Muyo!. However, it's hard to admit that that isn't a component in some anime. Some might not care for its casual (in certain series) portrayal of homosexuality between characters. And others still might be turned off by the mere fact a 'hentai' niche of the anime market even exists. Or they just have negative experiences with 'otaku' and have been oversaturated by that fanboy/fangirl attitude they can't stand it. It's possible some are also uncomfortable with the rather...odd stance of some anime to portray African-descended characters as the stereotype brought about by black face makeup (googly eyes, enormous lips, dark skin to the point of being near parody; even in more 'liberal' anime, I've still noticed the big lips feature...).

There are probably more reasons, but that's my $0.02
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Good points Ever. I must admit I was a rather huge fan of Tenchi Muyo! myself back in the day...Anime itself has a strong sexuality to it. Even "kids" animes such as pokemon and Yugi Oh! are laden with sexual scenes(I don't think I need to describe the banned episodes of Pokemon to anyone). On top of this, there is the "Otaku" stereotype of anime fans that hurts the genre in general. As someone who has been to multiple anime conventions, I have witnessed countless Otakus clad in cheap costumes of their favorite anime characters. Most of these people looked a bit more than ridiculous, however they were proud of it. Much like the gothic or punk stereotypes, Otakus are a rebellion against mainstream culture. They find sanctity in the culture of another country, and reject that of their own. It is this mentality and image, however, that keeps anime from becoming mainstream in the U.S.

Recently I was looking at a list of the top 20 animated films ever made on Yahoo! Not surprisingly, many of the films were Miyazaki films, which, if anyone's ever seen them, knows how incredible they are. Despite this, the comments of users below were less than kind to the animated greats. Many claimed "how can that anime crap be better than Cinderella??" "There's too much Japanese garbage on this list. No one likes that stuff." Basically, my issue with this is that a good portion of anime is artistic, beautiful, and every bit as respectable as the latest pixar film(and in some cases, moreso). Films like Spirited Away and animes like Cowboy Bebop are testaments to the extremely high pinnacle of film making Japanese anime can reach. Sadly, these greats often times don't get the respect they deserve in the United States, if only because a foolish stereotype prevents it.
Back to top Go down
waaar81

waaar81

Number of posts : 2366

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Well I dont know why people here might not like it much. I say it might be because of the difference sense of humor or some people here might find it more "childish" even thought they watch simpsons or the family guy (even if that one has sexual things also). Well for I love them and Hentai also and Im not ashame to say it Why don't people like anime??? 386596
Back to top Go down
http://watchbleachepisodesonline.50webs.com/bleach_episode_guide
firegremlin

firegremlin

Number of posts : 2244

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Simply because it can be associated with cartoons and cartoons are "for little kids".
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 2:51 am

Well clearly several animes are for anyone BUT little kids...oh what bad stereotypes can do to great things... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
koopa_under_fire

koopa_under_fire

Number of posts : 352

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 3:00 pm

I don't know why I don't like it, I used to like Pokemon, Yugioh, Digimon, Beyblade, and I still do like watching the old episodes of Speed Racer. But I really hate all of those lame fightings ones, and stuff like that, but I guess it just doesn't spark my interests, I watch sports and Two and a Half Men, need I say more?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 9:48 pm

koopa_under_fire wrote:
I don't know why I don't like it, I used to like Pokemon, Yugioh, Digimon, Beyblade, and I still do like watching the old episodes of Speed Racer. But I really hate all of those lame fightings ones, and stuff like that, but I guess it just doesn't spark my interests, I watch sports and Two and a Half Men, need I say more?

Not all anime is about "lame fighting." There will always be some type of action associated in anime, but it will not purely revolve around fighting alone. I can give you several names of anime depending on what you're into in terms of genre that may or may not change your mind. You just have to be open-minded about it.

P.S. Digimon rocked in the first two seasons. Loved it much more than pokemon.
Back to top Go down
koopa_under_fire

koopa_under_fire

Number of posts : 352

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 4:43 pm

Blitzsword wrote:
koopa_under_fire wrote:

Not all anime is about "lame fighting." There will always be some type of action associated in anime, but it will not purely revolve around fighting alone. I can give you several names of anime depending on what you're into in terms of genre that may or may not change your mind. You just have to be open-minded about it.

P.S. Digimon rocked in the first two seasons. Loved it much more than pokemon.

Oh yeah I know, but all you see in america is the lame fighting ones. There's anime for almost every genre, I used to watch that Prince of Tennis show or something like that and it was pretty cool, because I love sports, but you don't see those around here.
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2009 1:37 pm

You have a point Koopa, most people in the U.S. just associate Anime with fighting, like DBZ or something...but there is an anime for every genre. Cowboy Bebop is great Science Fiction and drama, and Death Note is a mystery/suspense thriller...and some animes have absolutely nothing to do with fighting, like Auron High School Host Club(My girlfriend loves this "sojo") or Fooly Cooly(an equally strange, yet popular anime).
Back to top Go down
webweaver

webweaver

Number of posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 6:33 pm

some people are not open minded thats all.
Back to top Go down
guest 34

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 2:15 am

I agree longname. And even if they DO have something to do with fighting, that doesn't mean that theyre bad. I mean, Bleach has all kinds of great character development and character relationships. I mean look at Ichigo and Orihime! People judge before they even watcvh, and it pisses me the eff off.
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 11:41 am

I've watched enough DBZ and Naruto to that they have decent stories, but are very drawn out by extremely long fight sequences and the overall length of the anime. I've watched some Bleach, and it does seem like there is a bit more character dynamics going on, but it still suffers from the same problems as the forementioned animes. Animes don't have to be 300 episodes long, especially when 50% of the episodes are fillers or just part of a 9 episode long battle which could have been resolved in one or two! I don't want to sound like I'm bashing on these animes, because I'm not. I'm just saying that when the story is the MAIN focus of the anime, the animes tend to have fewer episodes. Quality over quantity, you know?
Back to top Go down
Blitzsword
Administrator
Blitzsword

Number of posts : 198

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 3:02 pm

I believe this is more of a cultures clash situation. Japanese culture is extremely different than Western culture and thus some people may not necessarily agree with what they see or hear on anime. Personally, that hasn't stopped me from enjoying various series. But I do feel that the majority of Western audiences are not as open-minded as a select few, just like Web-Weaver said.

There's also another problem here, particularly in America; Americans are too proud to watch something that is of another culture. I've taken notice of this ignorance and have come across the whole "It ain't American, then I ain't watchin!" attitude. Ever hear of "Be American! Buy American!"? It's ridiculous. The same applies here with anime and, off topic but, XBOX vs. PS3. Again, narrow-mindness.

About the filler aspect, I also believe that plays a role in certain individual's taste for anime. Bleach, Naruto, and DBZ do tend to be nothing but filler at times. This is due to the anime playing catch-up to the manga. It is also at times used to implement an in-depth perspective of characters or situation. They're all great anime for what they're worth, but anime isn't just limited to Shonen-Jump. If you look closely, you'll find amazing anime. Cory, I know you love Cowboy Bebop, so you know what I'm talking about Smile

All in all, I think people have their own preferences and I can't fault them for it. But we can educate them to make those preferences worthwhile. Now if only people would stop the whole "Jap dub > Eng dub!," I'd be a happy man. No dub is worse off imo. It's all preference and I happen to prefer both. But that's just me.
Back to top Go down
matt2003

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 12:32 pm

Wow, great point Blitzsword. A lot of my friends and family make fun of me for enjoying games like Final Fantasy, which are clearly very anime-esque, and this "phobia" you mention seems to be the cause. I do like some anime, but I often feel I can't mention it around my friend, since they'll probably laugh. It's like people see the big eyes and spikey hair and immediately dismiss it as stupid or not worth watching. I'm sure we all know that that is simply niot true.
Back to top Go down
Blitzsword
Administrator
Blitzsword

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 7:19 pm

matt2003 wrote:
Wow, great point Blitzsword. A lot of my friends and family make fun of me for enjoying games like Final Fantasy, which are clearly very anime-esque, and this "phobia" you mention seems to be the cause. I do like some anime, but I often feel I can't mention it around my friend, since they'll probably laugh. It's like people see the big eyes and spikey hair and immediately dismiss it as stupid or not worth watching. I'm sure we all know that that is simply niot true.

I hear what you're saying bro. It's really sad at times that great art and media is often neglected because of these views. Although, don't let people stop you from freely enjoying anime. Smile Remember to always be sure and proud of yourself and your tastes and forget the rest! In the end, people and their opinions don't matter; yours does.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 11:58 pm

Quote :
I hear what you're saying bro. It's really sad at times that great art and media is often neglected because of these views. Although, don't let people stop you from freely enjoying anime. Smile Remember to always be sure and proud of yourself and your tastes and forget the rest! In the end, people and their opinions don't matter; yours does.

I completely agree with this, because at one point I was actually afraid to admit to my friends that i liked anime! But I did eventually build up the guts to tell them and when I did I was surprised to find that a lot of my friends watched anime too! I was really happy because then my friends and anime helped me get through a hard time in my life where i was really self conscious about what I did and liked. I felt I had to follow exactly what everyone else did. Now i don't care what others think about me and my likings I'm proud to say i love anime and myself.
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 12:16 am

Heh, I agree with you completely. When I was in high school, it wasn't necessarily cool to like anime, but you know what? I found out over time that even many cool kids liked it, but were just afraid to admit it. I'll never forget the first time my girlfriend and I talked after I asked her out. We were both telling eachother about ourselves, and as it turned out, we were both afraid to admit that we liked anime. Once we admitted it, however, we found another great way for us to connect. Like you said Blitz, we shouldn't let the negative stereotypes keep us from enjoying a great form of media and art. Anime is a legitimate and serious art form that should be as openly accepted and discussed as American animation...sometimes even moreso.
Back to top Go down
Blitzsword
Administrator
Blitzsword

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 12:26 am

I know for a fact I would've been afraid to admit this two years back. Now, I'll just proudly say that I watch anime as if it were no big deal. Of course, the fear of showing my "kid" side to anyone was taboo for me back then as well. I suppose I've learned to loosen up over the years but I will admit, I've still got a long way to go in that department. Razz

Still, it's always good to be honest and content with what you enjoy. Glad everything worked out for the both you Cory. Smile
Back to top Go down
Everlong

Everlong

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 1:32 pm

I think admitting to like anime is largely taboo if only because of the negative connotations it holds to be fan of it. As I said earlier in the thread, many may not like anime for the reason that some of its fans are very over zealous, and at times, a bit scary. While it might be close-minded to be turned off by something simply how its fans act, it still leaves a powerful impression that may tinge whatever someone is looking at getting into. It doesn't reflect well on the group at large, is what I'm getting at.

But yes - admitting to liking anime shouldn't be stigmatized, I agree. The actions of a few don't speak for a whole; not anywhere near close to the truth. Actually, Matt, it might be good to look around and see if your school has an anime club (if you're still in school that is!). Look for like-minded people such as yourself and you're bound to be surprised at who likes what. Smile
Back to top Go down
Forsaken Lament 44
Administrator
Forsaken Lament 44

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Well, as far is anime culture in America goes, I can see why some are hesitant to admit their fandom. The most prevelant, or at least loudspoken anime enthusiasts due tend to give anime overall a bad name. One example of this from my own personal experience is the anime convention in Chicago that I've gone to for the past few years with my GF.

I don't cosplay or anything, but the convention itself is FILLED with cosplayers--some of which are quite good and respectable. Unfortunately however, these cosplayers are in the vast minority in the grand scheme of things. Most cosplayers do either a poor job with their costumes and end up looking quite ridiculous, or even worse, they wear outfits that are entirely ill-fitting (just imagine the WRONG person in a sailor moon skirt). But an anime convention is for geeky people...it's perhaps the one instance that people can shamelessly act as nerdy as possible and still feel accepted. I don't have any problem with that really...but the problem comes when the convention I go to is held at a very nice hotel and convention center which typically serves business people and the wealthy. I don't need to describe the clash of cultures to you.

The beautiful lobby of the Hyatt Regency is literally filled with cosplayers and otakus, packed like sardines, trying to get from one panel to the next, nibbling on pocky while maintaining their assumed role as their favorite anime character. By the second or third day of the convention, few of these otakus have washed their outfits, or much less bathed, inevitably causing the smell pungent smell of B.O. to dominate the lobby and the conference centers. Despite the sudden burst in otaku activity, business tries to go on as usual at the hotel, but it hardly works. Business people try to squeeze through the crowds in a vain attempt to get to their meeting on time, and hotel staff wonder if they should address the person in the Sailor Moon outfit is a "mam" or a "sir." I suppose one businessman from New Jersey summed it up nicely when I overheard him state to his colleague, "It looks like Halloween for Grown Men."

Please don't get me wrong. While odd and often hygienically impaired, these people are also some of the friendliest people you'll meet. I love going to the convention, even if I do not indulge in all of the more excessive activities of other convention-goers. But my one problem is that onlookers instantly view anime as the source of this odd and what is perceived to be stupid behavior. This sort of activity only hurts anime's image, even though there are plenty of animes that are respectable in their own right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why don't people like anime???   Why don't people like anime??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why don't people like anime???
Page 1 of 1